Help finding an answer with A/C issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with BG if you’ve always heard it. My 2nd fan is louder too but if the noise is new it should be monitored or repaired before it becomes a bigger issue. After you drive it one day leave it running and get out. If you hear the sound open the hood and try to locate it. If it’s the 2nd fan it should come on for a bit then turn off.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with BG if you’ve always heard it. My 2nd fan is louder too but if the noise is new it should be monitored or repaired before it becomes a bigger issue. After you drive it one day leave it running and get out. If you hear the sound open the hood and try to locate it. If it’s the 2nd fan it should come on for a bit then turn off.

Ok, so very hot today, had the air on all day and happened to hear it again. Pulled over, opened the hood, all is normal sounding. Both fans were on. Can’t hear the sound from the outside or under the hood. It’s almost like the sound of bass coming from the car next to you, but only inside the car. Under the hood, all is good and sounds normal

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noise cancelling in the stereo? The 15+ have so many weird noise issues from buffeting to noise cancellation. Sorry I’m not much help. A sound clip might help, it’s really hard to diagnose noises especially if we don’t get to hear the noise. That’s a lot of uses of the word noise.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I’m starting to think I’m being hyper sensitive. I think it’s just normal with the AC on, 92degrees outside and the car has been running all day. If I can catch it, I’ll make a clip

juniorwatson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You need to be a HELLUVA lot more descriptive with anything.

Do you hear the noise in the cabin? If so, does it get more noticable when you are at a stop with the engine running, and the blower motor off?
Is it more noticable outside the cabin? It it more noticable under the hood? Are there any changes when the A/C clutch kicks in and out? Is there any change, if applicable, when the mechanical fan clutch engages and disengages?
-Does the noise start when the engine is running? Is it noticable as yu are driving, or only at stops? Does it change with drive speed, or transmission gear?

You see where I'm going? There's a $hit ton of things it could be, but we haven't got a clue as to where to start since you didn't provide any useful data to start.

-Junior

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? If it’s a 17, there’s a bracket for the AC pipe to fix a buzzing at idle.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My Tahoe is a late 16 production, right before the shutdown to switch to 17 m.y. It is not the speaker for sure. The noise, when it happens, is only audible inside the vehicle, not under the hood and not outside the car. If you’ve had a high hp car with exhaust that sometimes drones, it’s almost a droning sound.
91RS, your bracket comment is exactly what I was remembering when I posted this thread. Can you elaborate? Any threads here on that bracket?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d have to look up the bulletin again to be sure but I’m pretty sure it only applies to 17s with 1234yf.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d have to look up the bulletin again to be sure but I’m pretty sure it only applies to 17s with 1234yf.

Thank you. Please let me know what it says if you find it. I did put a 13mil deep socket on the bracket. Got 1/2 a turn out of it. (Obviously not much force applied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts