Head block Thread chaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any members have one I can rent with a deposit. Then return and refund deposit.?
It is for a 03 5.3l v8 motor

ARP 912-0011 11mm x 2.00 Thread Cleaning Tap

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you can do is take one of the old head bolts. then take a angle grinder with a thin disc and cut 2 or even 3 lines in the threads, from bottom to top. then run that bolt in and out of all the blocks threaded holes.

did this on my 3800. worked like a charm. theres vids on yt, search diy thread cleaner.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I did today. I used an old bolt. I be was just concerned willthat it get it all out the going.
Tomorrow going to run the camera in each hole.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can also rent taps at some parts stores if needed. Make sure to not run them in and out without some lube.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the thread size is for the main bearing caps that thread into the block? Trying to find a thread chaser for that

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get threads cleaned out. I got blocked cleaned. I set the main bearings in the crank underside and top caps on. Will check clearances this week on crank bearings. Then ring gaps and connecting rod bearings. It feels to be making progress. I am not rushing and taking my time to get it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon