Has anyone tried reproduction chrome bumpers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo my wife has been ******* my Yukon the past year. She lightly backed into my father in laws Sierra denting the rear bumper, right side. Then turned too early onto our street and smacked the front bumper, right side. This along with a few other things will be getting fixed at my favorite body shop soon. The Yukon also has some bubbling right beneath the fuel door. I have to have that cut out, welded and fixed permanently. Besides all this damage and imperfections, the truck's paint and body are in excellent condition, I'm trying to keep it looking perfect. Ok i'm veering off, my question is I've been wanting to stay GM only for all my replacement parts. But having to buy three bumpers (i want to replace my father in laws bumper too), and worrying about removing the rear bumpers plastic pieces without destroying them has me of course pondering the repo parts, mostly from Ebay. Anyone have experience with them? Good or bad? My main concern is that this truck does get driven in winter, and they are liberal with the salt around here. I'm extremely good about washing the truck, even in subzero temps. Just wondering if that still won't be enough if the bumper is subpar chromed. Thoughts. Thanks.

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put some import bumpers on my Silverado, used Diesel to get more holes in for cooling. Mine were painted. Fit ok but not perfect.

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
Use OEM or aftermarket, do not use reconditioned chrome. the OEM will fit perfectly however the aftermarket might take some extra time fitting, I have also noticed that most of the aftermarket chrome is shinier and more mirror like (if you will than OEM) which I find as a plus. As for the rear bumper most of the parts can be reused if you take your time in removing them, however I do recommend a new ring that holds the spare tire tube in place.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
We use some repro bumpers at our shop. Some are good, some aren't. OEM's you always know what you're going to get - quality. Aftermarkets are also hit or miss sometimes for fitment / finish.

OP
OP
Matt06Yukon

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I bit the bullet and bought three GM bumpers, one new bumper cap and a new lower valance, all GM. You guys are right, I couldn't take the chance. It wouldn't be worth the couple hundred dollar savings if they rust prematurely or fit like crap. Can't wait for them to come in, I might just drop the truck off ahead of time so he can get working on that other spot. I have a nice set of CK805's I scored off ebay I'm dieing to put on too. Get the body all perfect, clay and wax, tires for the 20's, can't wait. I'll probably get about 3 weeks use out of the 805's until I have to switch back to the factory rims for winter...

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. I had a 4Runner that was 13 years old and the OEM bumper was perfect. After getting totaled, I had the shop put an aftermarket unit on and it was rusting within 6 months.

loho16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stay with OEM! I have used two aftermarket companies and both fit way different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittyboop0510