Chrome nerf bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
I'm considering adding a pair of chrome nerf bars to my Yukon XL and getting rid of the running boards. The boards seem to sit so close to the body that they aren't very helpful for getting in and out. I had the factory nerf bars on my 05 Avalanche (it was the same color) and I liked the look of them better. Plus they seemed more useful for getting in/out. My Yukon has spent its entire life in either VA or NC, so it hasn't seen as much salt as the northern states. One of my main concerns is getting the body bolts out to install the brackets for the nerf bars. I don't want to risk breaking one off. They don't seem very rusty from looking at them, but I know that something that hasn't been removed in 20 years is at risk of breaking when you attempt to remove it. If I end up doing the swap, I'll probably give them a few good shots of PB Blaster and let it soak in. Has anyone done this on a 20+ year old GMT800? Any tricks/tips?

0518231421_HDR.jpg

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use ATF/Gas mixed 50/50, or get a can of AeroKroil from a local HVAC supply house instead of PB Blaster. PB is just about useless according to independent comparative tests done my ProjectFarm and AvE on YouTube, and my own experience. Other than that - at least if they break you aren't planning to reuse them. Chrome running boards don't use the same mounting. Attach to the body mounts in my experience.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Use ATF/Gas mixed 50/50, or get a can of AeroKroil from a local HVAC supply house instead of PB Blaster. PB is just about useless according to independent comparative tests done my ProjectFarm and AvE on YouTube, and my own experience. Other than that - at least if they break you aren't planning to reuse them. Chrome running boards don't use the same mounting. Attach to the body mounts in my experience.
Correct. I was asking about getting the body mount bolts out, not the ones for the current running boards. I've already had the passenger side running board off once when I had some paint work done. I'd just hate to snap off a body mount bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog