Guys I need help figuring out this engine rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FasterBass I didn't notice anything yesterday but I plan on double checking the cylinder wall.

@TollKeeper I ordered a kit from Texas speed as well as a L33 camshaft and an assortment of other gaskets and parts I will need to put it back together.

Which seals and gaskets would you guys reuse putting it back together?

JohnCal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a bearing to me… Start checking with the mechanics stethoscope or if you don’t have one use a long screwdriver to the ear

NardDog

Reaction score
Check the exhaust manifold bolts, These are notorious for breaking loose and making noise. Last engine i pulled had two broken one on each side of the engine.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FasterBass I didn't notice anything yesterday but I plan on double checking the cylinder wall.

@TollKeeper I ordered a kit from Texas speed as well as a L33 camshaft and an assortment of other gaskets and parts I will need to put it back together.

Which seals and gaskets would you guys reuse putting it back together?
I bought GM OEM from Amazon Warehouse, head gasket and exhaust manifold gasket. I reused my intake gasket, VLOM gasket, and steam pipe O-Rings.
For bolts, I bought some from Amazon Warehouse (either FelPro or ARP, cant remember) for the head bolts, and exhaust manifold bolts.

My engine is aluminum, so giving you those part numbers wont work.
I did save about 100 bucks doing Amazon Warehouse. The were new, claimed to be open box. None of the boxes, or bags, were ever opened. Saving money for new, unopened, parts!

My cam didnt get wiped, so for the other parts you will have to search.

Sometimes you can get a gasket kit pretty reasonable on Amazon Warehouse too.

Edit: After this repair, you still have to do a VLOM modification, this will ensure you oil pressure stays up, and accurate guage. Even if you tune out the DOD, the solenoids in the VLOM are known issues, and cause oil pressure issues.

Dont be afraid of Mahle gaskets either. From what I am told, they are a OEM supplier for GM. In my Case the gaskets were just cheaper to go with GM branded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TollKeeper The Texas Speed AFM delete kit I ordered will come with a Non-AFM VLOM, besides that is there anything else I need to do with the VLOM system to make it non-AFM?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on that one.

The ECM is still a AFM/DOD ECM, so if you remove it, and take the AFM/DOD out in the tune, I would imagine its still going to look for the system, even thou it wont activate it.

It has been done, but not by me, so I am sure its a easy answer.

Hopefully someone that has done that can answer.. And I know there are quite a few members that have.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@TollKeeper The Texas Speed AFM delete kit I ordered will come with a Non-AFM VLOM, besides that is there anything else I need to do with the VLOM system to make it non-AFM?

Not sure on that one.

The ECM is still a AFM/DOD ECM, so if you remove it, and take the AFM/DOD out in the tune, I would imagine its still going to look for the system, even thou it wont activate it.

It has been done, but not by me, so I am sure its a easy answer.

Hopefully someone that has done that can answer.. And I know there are quite a few members that have.
The DOD needs to be turned off in the tune. You will either need a handheld tuner like a Diablo Intune, a tune from Black Bear Performance or find a local shop that can turn it off for you. The truck will look for it and I believe run in limp mode without it.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I did mine via hp tuners.
Bad part with hp tuners, it's not really "Straight forward" but tons of awesome diagnostics and stuff.
I always like to mess with transmission pressures right off the bat, so it just makes sense for me.

takes two licenses for our vehicles, when doing a pull uncheck "FSCM" option so you just have tcm and ecm.

Cheap way out is to just have someone else do the tune for you.
If you go hp tuners, i/m me and I'll help you. :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts