Guys I need help figuring out this engine rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I am going to disable my fuel pump and turn the engine with the starter to see if I can replicate the sound.

Easy: Just hold the throttle pedal to the floor while cranking and it'll keep the injectors and spark plugs from firing.

I am hoping that pulling the heads I will find some problems with the lifters, push rods, or valvetrain.

Hoping for anything minimal.

if you have any other useful advice that would be great.

Use a large, blunt punch and hammer to give the heads of the exhaust manifold bolts a few good knocks to help shock 'em loose to reduce the chance of breaking them. Put a socket around them and beat on that a few times to shock the surrounding iron of the manifold flange. If you have a small, relatively weak impact gun (or turn your air pressure way down), a few hits towards tightening before loosening and maybe repeating a few times back and forth can help. No need to rush this part cuz you'll surely negate any time saved when you have to fight broken bolts.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just gone thru collapsed and exploded lifter, and a pushrod in the shape a letter Z. Just start in the valve cover, both sides. Relative easy, and you dont even have to pull the intake (at least on my LH6 I didnt).

Go in there and look for loose rockers, or even a pushrod sitting off to one side (both of these I found on cylinder #1 intake).

The baffling question is, if it was a pushrod, lifter, or stripped rocker, you would have a MIL light for a misfire on a cylinder. You didnt mention this that I saw.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub Thank you for that advice!

@TollKeeper I do have a code for cylinder 6 misfire, I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread or not but I will be focusing my inspection on the passenger side for sure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really?! This would make top end soak easier

I speaketh the trutheth. No need to pull fuses, unplug stuff, etc. It's a GM feature called "Clear Flood Mode". Prior to my engine refresh, I used to use it all the time to prime my oil system to help a ticking lifter when starting my Tahoe after it sat for a week or three. You hold the pedal to the floor (there's a specified minimum throttle- like 80% or something, but flooring it is easiest) and turn the key. You can hold it but it'll automatically stop cranking the starter after ten seconds to let it cool.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not able to replicate the sound by just turning the engine with the starter.

I can vouch, pedal to the floor while cranking won’t start it.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I speaketh the trutheth. No need to pull fuses, unplug stuff, etc. It's a GM feature called "Clear Flood Mode". Prior to my engine refresh, I used to use it all the time to prime my oil system to help a ticking lifter when starting my Tahoe after it sat for a week or three. You hold the pedal to the floor (there's a specified minimum throttle- like 80% or something, but flooring it is easiest) and turn the key. You can hold it but it'll automatically stop cranking the starter after ten seconds to let it cool.
Well goll-e thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the intake manifold and valve cover off on the passenger side today. I wasn't able to find anything wrong, I took the pushrods for #6 out and they all look nice and straight. The rockers for #6 look the same as the rest of them. I am a little confused, I thought I would see some evidence of damage by now. Tomorrow I will pull the head and hopefully see something wrong.

Here are a couple videos I took today:

And here is a clip of my lady turning the motor over for me. As you can see it appears that the valves for #6 work just fine, How do you disable the fuel pump? I pulled fuse #20 and the fuel pump relay but as you can see the fuel pump still works..

What are your guys thoughts here?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did your lady floor the accelerator pedal while cranking, to use clear flood mode? (Or as Dad would have called it, "the footfeed." ;) )

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your lady floor the accelerator pedal while cranking, to use clear flood mode? (Or as Dad would have called it, "the footfeed." ;) )
@Fless I told her to but I think that just disables the injectors, but doesn’t turn the fuel pump off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01