Guys I need help figuring out this engine rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I think it has come time for my Tahoe for a AFM lifter delete. I think I am having a lifter failure but this sounds different from other videos I've seen. Someone said the pushrod might be out of place causing this sound?

What do you think?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does not sound good to be honest, the 1st thing you want to do is take the belts off both serpentine and ac to rule a external source in or out.
you are safe to start it up with no belt for a few seconds
do that and report back

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Thank you for that, I am going to look into getting that cam. Can you take a look at this parts list from Texas Speed to make sure I have everything selected correctly? This will be a for a 08 5.3.
Capture.PNG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I think it has come time for my Tahoe for a AFM lifter delete. I think I am having a lifter failure but this sounds different from other videos I've seen. Someone said the pushrod might be out of place causing this sound?

What do you think?

That sounds worse than just a ticking (weak/collapsed) lifter. That sounds like it's bouncing around in there. Could be really messed up, turned, maybe busted lifter tray. Or, maybe the lifter is just collapsed and that's the push rod bouncing around. Have a misfire or rough idle? Any DTCs?

You'll have to at least pull the cover to find which cylinder and assess. To really know the extent, pull the head. Then you'll know if a standard AFM delete would fix everything or if the engine will need more work.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds worse than just a ticking (weak/collapsed) lifter. That sounds like it's bouncing around in there. Could be really messed up, turned, maybe busted lifter tray. Or, maybe the lifter is just collapsed and that's the push rod bouncing around. Have a misfire or rough idle? Any DTCs?

You'll have to at least pull the cover to find which cylinder and assess. To really know the extent, pull the head. Then you'll know if a standard AFM delete would fix everything or if the engine will need more work.
@iamdub I agree, doesn't sound like anything I've seen online but the sound is coming from the top end. I plan on pulling the heads off this weekend to find the answer here but I want to get the parts ordered as soon as possible. If I find the damage it outside my scope of ability to repair and I have to return the parts, so be it.

p0306 cylinder 6 misfire is the only code

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN