Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. All that work and it’s still not the way you want it. That sucks man. But... no pics..? No videos..? [emoji3525]

Yeah, I was not expecting that kind of sound from that kind of muffler. I'll post up vids after I get the cutout wired up. Pics coming in a few...

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some "before" pics-

Homemade resonator delete with G8 GT tips:

IMG_2887.JPG

I can't express enough how perfect that one little $30 18" muffler was prior to removing the cats:

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

All gutted and section of cross member removed for working space:
IMG_2895.JPG

Last edited:

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case y'all needed a reminder of just how ghetto I may or may not be, this is my homemade tapered transition to tie the 3" into the factory 2.75" over-axle arch. In my mind, this is a calculated design since the exhaust has cooled and velocity has slowed at this point. So, keeping the factory size pipe at the end will help to keep the velocity up for scavenging rather than be a "choke":

IMG_2961.JPG

Slices welded up. Inside wasn't too bad, I knocked down the scars a little bit with a half-round file:

IMG_2962.JPG

Pretty smooth transition! Also re-clocked the arch for better alignment and to put the arch a little higher since I'm lowered and slightly further back to maintain optimum clearance for when I move the axle back ~1/2":

IMG_2965.JPG

I don't remember what time this was, but Jenn texted me to ask how I was doing. I replied with this pic captioned "exhausted". I don't normally look beat-down and homeless. It's just been a lot of late nights and time away from home. Never off work in time to get a hair cut and I don't ever feel like shaving- what does it matter when you wear a mask?! Just shower, crash, repeat. It was extra hot since it was a little windy yesterday so I had to close the shop doors and turn off the fan to weld:

IMG_2966.JPG

*EDIT*
This is me showered and shaved:

IMG_E0015.JPG

Last edited:

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case y'all needed a reminder of just how ghetto I may or may not be, this is my homemade tapered transition to tie the 3" into the factory 2.75" over-axle arch. In my mind, this is a calculated design since the exhaust has cooled and velocity has slowed at this point. So, keeping the factory size pipe at the end will help to keep the velocity up for scavenging rather than be a "choke":

View attachment 256587

Slices welded up. Inside wasn't too bad, I knocked down the scars a little bit with a half-round file:
View attachment 256588

Pretty smooth transition! Also re-clocked the arch for better alignment and to put the arch a little higher since I'm lowered and slightly further back to maintain optimum clearance for when I move the axle back ~1/2":
View attachment 256589

I don't remember what time this was, but Jenn texted me to ask how I was doing. I replied with this pic captioned "exhausted". I don't normally look beat-down and homeless. It's just been a lot of late nights and time away from home. Never off work in time to get a hair cut and I don't ever feel like shaving- what does it matter when you wear a mask?! Just shower, crash, repeat. It was extra hot since it was a little windy yesterday so I had to close the shop doors and turn off the fan to weld:
View attachment 256590

*EDIT*

View attachment 256591
it's not a car - it's a fitness program.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took these then realized I forgot to weld that section of cross member back in:

IMG_2980.JPG

Cutout dumped in front of the axle and passenger side exhaust tip from '08 or '09 Saturn Outlook:

IMG_2981.JPG

I like these tips because they flow well with the Tahoe's angles. They'd fit best if I notched the bumper cover to flush them in, but I'm not committed to them like that. I'm still on the fence about this one. If I decide to keep it, I may split the exhaust after the arch to have a dual exit. I have an idea for pipe routing that wouldn't require losing the spare:

IMG_2977.JPG

I'll have to snap a few more pics of the tip as the Tahoe sits in the driveway.

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 256587

View attachment 256588

View attachment 256589

View attachment 256590

*EDIT*

View attachment 256591
Damn hippie!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 256587

View attachment 256588

View attachment 256589

View attachment 256590

*EDIT*

View attachment 256591

I know what you mean about not having had a hair cut. Mines getting kind of shaggy as well. Might see if my wife can give me a haircut later tonight.image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh