Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "brown" shades are my least favorite of these trucks, but are also the only ones I can get my head around black wheels on, and even then, I'm against them. But those machined faces make all the difference to me. I'd even say those wheels enhance the body color to my eye. Truck looks great!

Thank you!

I can't stand brown of any shade on or in a vehicle. It's a machine- making it look like it's formed from adobe or donkey dung seems stupid to me. Glad mine's Graystone!

At this time, the wheels I want are 22s like what Mark has on his Denali- all black. These were too good a deal for me to even give it a second thought.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look like the same short end links I'm running on my Burb.

That they are. I got the part number from a post you made a few weeks ago telling another member about them. I never knew anything about them until then.

Truck looks great... I'm digging the new shoes... l like them almost as good as these...
View attachment 235380

Thank you! I like them more than I thought I would. I'm not such a fan of 5-spoke designs with 6 lug wheels. But the lugs being hidden offsets this. They quickly grew on me and like I said, were too good a deal to pass.

I didn't even have to program the TPMS sensors. I bolted up the wheels and hit the road and they're all working just like the ones in the de-clads. These tires are definitely living up to their "Brickstone" nickname. But, at least they're balanced and more proportionate than the 20s.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McGaughy 3" coils compared to "mystery" coils:
View attachment 235371
View attachment 235373
View attachment 235372

The McG coils dropped the rear 2.5" and the mystery coils dropped it 3.5". They ride better than stock but aren't too soft. I have a lead on confirming their origination.

First off, I want to say that my front and rear drop figures are averages of the left and right sides, rounding to the nearest 1/8".

Aaaaand I believe I've determined the mystery coils to be the rear ones from a Jeep TJ ('97-'06 Wrangler). So, if you want a good ~4" drop coil for cheap, hit up someone with a lifted Jeep or maybe a 4x4 or Jeep shop for some stock coils.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to say that my front and rear drop figures are averages of the left and right sides, rounding to the nearest 1/8".

Aaaaand I believe I've determined the mystery coils to be the rear ones from a Jeep TJ ('97-'06 Wrangler). So, if you want a good ~4" drop coil for cheap, hit up someone with a lifted Jeep or maybe a 4x4 or Jeep shop for some stock coils.
Aren’t those going to be a bit light-duty for a heavy ass SUV? Wranglers aren’t near as heavy are they?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren’t those going to be a bit light-duty for a heavy ass SUV? Wranglers aren’t near as heavy are they?

I thought the same. After searching around, I saw a few brands of 4" and 5" drop coils and they all look VERY similar to the TJ coils. TOO soft? Surprisingly, no. At least, not with an unloaded Tahoe with the 3rd row removed.

Maybe the TJ rides really stiff? Also, I'm comparing these coils to how my stock ones rode. Mine having AutoRide and ALC means my factory coils were the softer version. It really does feel very much like it did when stock with it's disabled ALC and stiff electronic shocks. It's a little softer, but that's expected and what I wanted. The Belltech SP shocks are notably softer than the stock ones, so even those are a factor.

I'm counting on these to be too soft for any sort of load, including just the 3rd row installed. My stock setup felt way more squirrely with those seats in. If the ALC system was operable and adjusted properly, this could easily be remedied and is what I plan to do if those AirLift bags work out.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I thought the same. After searching around, I saw a few brands of 4" and 5" drop coils and they all look VERY similar to the TJ coils. TOO soft? Surprisingly, no. At least, not with an unloaded Tahoe with the 3rd row removed.

Maybe the TJ rides really stiff? Also, I'm comparing these coils to how my stock ones rode. Mine having AutoRide and ALC means my factory coils were the softer version. It really does feel very much like it did when stock with it's disabled ALC and stiff electronic shocks. It's a little softer, but that's expected and what I wanted. The Belltech SP shocks are notably softer than the stock ones, so even those are a factor.

I'm counting on these to be too soft for any sort of load, including just the 3rd row installed. My stock setup felt way more squirrely with those seats in. If the ALC system was operable and adjusted properly, this could easily be remedied and is what I plan to do if those AirLift bags work out.

Well what are you waiting for, an invitation???

Get after it and let's see if the air compressor is going to work with the airlift bags.

It would be cool if you could rig up a pressure gauge inline from the compressor to the bags just to see what the pressures are running.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what are you waiting for, an invitation???

Get after it and let's see if the air compressor is going to work with the airlift bags.

It would be cool if you could rig up a pressure gauge inline from the compressor to the bags just to see what the pressures are running.

I guess I'm waiting on Christmas, actually. lol

Seriously, I'm swamped right now. I was only able to do all the work I did recently cuz our plans to go to Florida for Thanksgiving fell through, so I spent the time off in the shop. I haven't gotten a tree yet and probably won't even put any lights up outside this year. After Christmas, New Years and whatever else, my focus will be on yanking out the motor for the AFM delete and resealing.

A pressure gauge would be interesting, but I'm not much concerned with that. Really, I could just splice in the "T"s and Schrader valves that come with the bags and stick a standard tire pressure gauge to it. They'd also be a point I could air up the bags should the compressor fail.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m thinking more of cornering. I understand there’s probably not much to be concerned about regarding the stiffness or softness of the ride, but it seems hard cornering would be where the difference would be noticed. IDK, I would go with springs rated for our trucks weight wise. Why didn’t you go with Tonys springs, he supposedly had them designed for these rigs?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking more of cornering. I understand there’s probably not much to be concerned about regarding the stiffness or softness of the ride, but it seems hard cornering would be where the difference would be noticed. IDK, I would go with springs rated for our trucks weight wise. Why didn’t you go with Tonys springs, he supposedly had them designed for these rigs?

Which springs? He had springs designed? AFAIK, he designed a kit with coils from by DJM or Belltech for the rear drops over 3", 4-5", I believe. By "designed", he was allowed to purchase the drop coils exclusively/individually from that maker to sell in a special drop package he assemebled for these rigs. Otherwise, the coils could only be bought in some other kind of kit. Also, the coils are just Trailblazer drop coils that drop the Tahoe much more due to the increased weight, unless we're talking about a different coil. I don't think he engineered and developed a one-off coil.

Regardless, I've been driving it progressively harder as I get the alignment and panhard dialed in and I feel everything is settled in. With plenty of experience throttle steering many vehicles, I have a solid seat-of-the-pants feel for lateral dynamics and I'm not feeling anything questionable yet. Actually, I'm thinking the springs may be firmer than I previously thought. But, I'm fine with that since I want this fat pig to feel stable and sure-footed through turns. Straight line dragging is cool and all and I crave acceleration, but lateral Gs is where it's at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345