Grinding Noise Turning Left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe 5.3L with 220k on it. I noticed it has now developed a metal on metal grinding noise primarily when turning left. I really noticed it tonight after returning from a 100 mile drive on interstate. I also noticed when I was getting off the highway the truck didn't coast like it normally does, slowed down much quicker.

I pulled off on the exit shoulder and check the wheels to see if they were excessively hot from a dragging caliper but didn't seem so and the rotors looked fine, weren't burnt.

I am wondering if its the wheel bearing in the left front wheel or a problem with the differential?

Any thoughts?

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Best way to check a bearing with out removing it is to pull wheel and brake caliper off and see how easy it turns with your hand, they should have no unusual noises like clanking bearing, ticking or loud sliding. You will hear some noise but its metal on metal 100% of the time so some sliding noise is always there just not an unusual noise. They should turn with some resistance but if you turn them and they are really hard or too loose then that would be issue. There should also be no play in the bearing moving from side to side or font to back.

Along with the diff your first bet would be the CV shafts. Looking at those the best things to do is replace them if you know they have over 50K miles on them. They have been seen to go 100K but average is about the 50 mark on CV shafts, especially if you have a lift or bigger tires (tire goes a long with the hubs as well, if they are bigger they will wear faster). Other things to look for on the CVs are the boots broken or torn, smell of metal on metal. The knuckle and bearings in them can break and will eventually start to smoke if left on the truck. With the CVs you could also hear popping noises when turning depending on what side of the CV shaft is broken.

If your looking at a differential issue then you will be looking at the bearing and internals. The bearings can go bad over time and if you have bad seals that you will notice leaks around the output shafts. internals will obviously be the worst if that is the problem but if your not in 4x4 I don't think the gears are engaged so they should not be making any noise if you're in 2wd.

Good luck and hopefully you can find the issue.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to check a bearing with out removing it is to pull wheel and brake caliper off and see how easy it turns with your hand, they should have no unusual noises like clanking bearing, ticking or loud sliding. You will hear some noise but its metal on metal 100% of the time so some sliding noise is always there just not an unusual noise. They should turn with some resistance but if you turn them and they are really hard or too loose then that would be issue. There should also be no play in the bearing moving from side to side or font to back.

Along with the diff your first bet would be the CV shafts. Looking at those the best things to do is replace them if you know they have over 50K miles on them. They have been seen to go 100K but average is about the 50 mark on CV shafts, especially if you have a lift or bigger tires (tire goes a long with the hubs as well, if they are bigger they will wear faster). Other things to look for on the CVs are the boots broken or torn, smell of metal on metal. The knuckle and bearings in them can break and will eventually start to smoke if left on the truck. With the CVs you could also hear popping noises when turning depending on what side of the CV shaft is broken.

If your looking at a differential issue then you will be looking at the bearing and internals. The bearings can go bad over time and if you have bad seals that you will notice leaks around the output shafts. internals will obviously be the worst if that is the problem but if your not in 4x4 I don't think the gears are engaged so they should not be making any noise if you're in 2wd.

Good luck and hopefully you can find the issue.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the grinding noise - jacked the vehicle up and the driver front wheel has play when grabbed 10-2 and wiggle. Also, when turning it isn't a smooth feeling rather rough. I am thinking this is the wheel bearing, however I had a bearing go out on my other GM truck and the ABS light came on when it went bad? The passenger side does not have play and is actually a little harder to turn.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the grinding noise - jacked the vehicle up and the driver front wheel has play when grabbed 10-2 and wiggle. Also, when turning it isn't a smooth feeling rather rough. I am thinking this is the wheel bearing, however I had a bearing go out on my other GM truck and the ABS light came on when it went bad? The passenger side does not have play and is actually a little harder to turn.
Further update - the grinding was in fact the drivers side wheel bearing. It was toast but lasted 220,000 so can't complain. Replaced it this week and it drives much better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts