2021 Yukon with roaring noise while turning left or right at slow speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsoles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
37000 miles, only been put into 4 wheel drive once. Just to test. There is a roaring noise while turning left or right at slow speed, (in parking lot or pulling out driveway) but clears when the Yukon is straightened up. It sounds like a hard rub but this has all been cleared. Of note, I activated the 4 wheel drive and drove about 50 yrds, put back in 2 wheel drive and the roaring is gone. If the yukon sits for more than an hour, the noise comes right back. No dealerships have heard of this issue and have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
37000 miles, only been put into 4 wheel drive once. Just to test. There is a roaring noise while turning left or right at slow speed, (in parking lot or pulling out driveway) but clears when the Yukon is straightened up. It sounds like a hard rub but this has all been cleared. Of note, I activated the 4 wheel drive and drove about 50 yrds, put back in 2 wheel drive and the roaring is gone. If the yukon sits for more than an hour, the noise comes right back. No dealerships have heard of this issue and have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance
Never use 4wd on dry pavement and make turns the system is binding up is to why you're hearing the noise and are likely going to snap something drivetrain related. Only use on slick surfaces like snow ice dirt etc when turning.

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...I have 42K and just noticed this on my 2WD Denali. Sounds like a low frequency growl when turning and then I don't hear it again once driving straight. Sounds like something is binding. Coming from the rear axle. Possibly a wheel bearing? Seems to have gotten worse the last couple of days with the colder temps here in FL.

OP
OP
J

jsoles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never use 4wd on dry pavement and make turns the system is binding up is to why you're hearing the noise and are likely going to snap something drivetrain related. Only use on slick surfaces like snow ice dirt etc when turning.

4 wheel drive was used on dirt and grass surface. Noise is while in 2 wheel drive while turning.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See this thread in engine and drivetrain section:

wheelmanrob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting...I have 42K and just noticed this on my 2WD Denali. Sounds like a low frequency growl when turning and then I don't hear it again once driving straight. Sounds like something is binding. Coming from the rear axle. Possibly a wheel bearing? Seems to have gotten worse the last couple of days with the colder temps here in FL.

We had the same issue when we bought our used 2wd Denali. Dealer found the pinion seal had been leaking some, topped off the fluid and the noise vanished. I would recommend anyone having that type of noise from the limited slip differential to check your fluid levels and for signs of leaking.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had the same issue when we bought our used 2wd Denali. Dealer found the pinion seal had been leaking some, topped off the fluid and the noise vanished. I would recommend anyone having that type of noise from the limited slip differential to check your fluid levels and for signs of leaking.
Hum...did they replace the pinion seal and inspect the rear diff too, or just top it off..if it wasn't the formeer, you are doomed to have it happen again, get water incursion, and ultimately have a rear diff fail...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel