2015 Tahoe/Grinding/rough noise from front of vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this noise/sensation impacting drivability or is it just an annoyance?
As of right now it's only annoying. But I don't know if it's the start of something worse. I can slightly feel it through the floor and pedal.

Car seems to work perfectly fine though.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of right now it's only annoying. But I don't know if it's the start of something worse. I can slightly feel it through the floor and pedal.

Car seems to work perfectly fine though.
Then I wouldnt worry about it, unless it gets worse and if it does get worse, it will be a lot easier to pinpoint.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I wouldnt worry about it, unless it gets worse and if it does get worse, it will be a lot easier to pinpoint.
I think my last couple things to check are the transfer case and transmission fluid. They need to be done anyways, and maybe the fluid will tell me something I'm not seeing.

After that I have an appointment at my local mechanic anyways to get the truck realigned and have the steering sensor reset. So if it not fixed by then I will have them look at it.

Hopefully thoes last couple things will help me prevent needing to ride it until ot gets worse.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my last couple things to check are the transfer case and transmission fluid. They need to be done anyways, and maybe the fluid will tell me something I'm not seeing.

After that I have an appointment at my local mechanic anyways to get the truck realigned and have the steering sensor reset. So if it not fixed by then I will have them look at it.

Hopefully thoes last couple things will help me prevent needing to ride it until ot gets worse.
Could be transmission but if its a grinding noise and it's coming from the transmission, life expectency is usually measurable in days or hours.

Drop the pan so you can see what's there. If kibbles and bits are on the bottom, you've found the problem.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be transmission but if its a grinding noise and it's coming from the transmission, life expectency is usually measurable in days or hours.

Drop the pan so you can see what's there. If kibbles and bits are on the bottom, you've found the problem.
I would actually be surprised if it was the transmission since it shifts and drives smooth. But I had already bought a new filter and gasket as I planned on dropping the pan and replacing the filter a while ago.

Crossing my fingers it's not either the tcase or transmission

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would actually be surprised if it was the transmission since it shifts and drives smooth. But I had already bout a new filter and gasket as I planned on dropping the pan and replacing the filter a while ago.

Crossing my fingers it's not either the tcase or transmission
Yea I dont think so either as it seems you have been dealing with the problem for a while now and any grinding is almost always gear train and gear train parts usually self destruct bery quickly...post back once you found once you've dropped the pan and inspect it.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I dont think so either as it seems you have been dealing with the problem for a while now and any grinding is almost always gear train and gear train parts usually self destruct bery quickly...post back once you found once you've dropped the pan and inspect it.
Will do, thank you for the help!

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drain plug for the tcase.

Seems like a lot of metal to me.. no big chunks though.

20230824_084743.jpg20230824_084955.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10