Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
Hello, all! Ok, so my '02 Z71 has an odd brake grinding noise coming from the front left inboard pad. I removed the wheel and rotor only to discover nothing... no shavings or filings of any kind. I roughed up the I/B pad (you could easily hear the grinding just by turning the axle) and the noise stopped for a couple of days. I had already bought replacement rotors and pads, just in case. When the grinding noise returned, I just replaced everything. Now the damn noise has come back. Any ideas or thoughts? Everything looks completely normal, but this is really getting under my skin. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the brake pads worn evenly? As stated above could be the hub bearing going out. Pop the rotor off and look at the grease seal on the hub bearing. Outer and inner. It may look wet if the baring is going away. 2WD or 4WD?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could hear the noise simply by turning the wheel, remove the caliper and turn the wheel. If the noise is gone, there is some issue with you brakes, if not, it's possibly the wheel bearing.

By the the way. Did you push back the pistons in the calipper a few times, to make them free moving again? Also, did you check and grease the slide pins?

OP
OP
D

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
sorry for the delay, guys. When the caliper is removed, no noise. The bearings have been replaced. If it were a bearing, it would (likely) make noise all the time, plus there is no slack or unusual movement with the wheel/tire/rotor. That's one reason I brought up the pad scuffing and replacement. I pushed the pistons back to make sure they were free and clear and moving as it should. I didn't see any evidence of grease leaking and slide pins looked fine. As I mentioned, I see no evidence of any shavings or filings. This one is odd and has me a bit stumped. It doesn't really seem to effect the braking too much, mostly just super annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts