2015 Tahoe/Grinding/rough noise from front of vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2015 Tahoe with roughly 103k miles on it.

Been having various issues, but my newest one is a metal grinding noise from what I suspect is the front right suspension. It is also able to be felt in the car, you can feel the vibrations from the grinding noise.

The CV axle on that side is freshly replaced so I'm doubting it's that. I checked the wheel bearing with the tire in the air but it felt solid enough. Suspension looks fine from just taking a look at it.

It so seems to be worse when I'm turning.

I was almost positive it was the wheel bearing but after checking it last night I'm worried it may be something worse in the drive train. Maybe transfer case or diff?

Any one dealt with this kinda noise before?

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me.

You may not be able to get it to wiggle. Does it make noise when you spin the wheel?
This may sound dumb, but I couldn't figure out how to spin the wheel. I put it in neutral but I assume the transfer case was still engaged.

Last edited:

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2015 Tahoe with roughly 103k miles on it.

Been having various issues, but my newest one is a metal grinding noise from what I suspect is the front right suspension. It is also able to be felt in the car, you can feel the vibrations from the grinding noise.

The CV axle on that side is freshly replaced so I'm doubting it's that. I checked the wheel bearing with the tire in the air but it felt solid enough. Suspension looks fine from just taking a look at it.

It so seems to be worse when I'm turning.

I was almost positive it was the wheel bearing but after checking it last night I'm worried it may be something worse in the drive train. Maybe transfer case or diff?

Any one dealt with this kinda noise before?
I had the same issue, tried for 6 months to figure it out.

Ended up being the hub on driver's side.

Try some long sweeping left and right turns - like highway entrance/exit ramps, if the noise goes away or changes, it's the hub

My noise would go away on long sweeping left turns, when the weight was off the left hub - then come right back when straight

There was zero wobble when jacked up off the ground, so the "play" evidently doesn't happen until the hub is far gone

Now that it's fixed - the lack of noise is crazy, I got used to it, and at one point was going to buy new tires, I was so convinced it was a noisy tire.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue, tried for 6 months to figure it out.

Ended up being the hub on driver's side.

Try some long sweeping left and right turns - like highway entrance/exit ramps, if the noise goes away or changes, it's the hub

My noise would go away on long sweeping left turns, when the weight was off the left hub - then come right back when straight

There was zero wobble when jacked up off the ground, so the "play" evidently doesn't happen until the hub is far gone

Now that it's fixed - the lack of noise is crazy, I got used to it, and at one point was going to buy new tires, I was so convinced it was a noisy tire.

Hope this helps!
Interesting, I seem to hear the noise and vibration way worse when turning. Even more so when I'm cutting the wheel hard.

My first suspicion was the hubs anyways, so if you and others are saying you don't always get the play in the hub then I might as well replace them anyways.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you believe the right front is the culprit and when driving and turning and gets worse, if you are turning left, that loads the right front more than when traveling straight and that indicates a right front hub problem. Is the worse noise the same if you turn left AND right or more pronounced when turning EITHER left or right?

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you believe the right front is the culprit and when driving and turning and gets worse, if you are turning left, that loads the right front more than when traveling straight and that indicates a right front hub problem. Is the worse noise the same if you turn left AND right or more pronounced when turning EITHER left or right?
I have to think about that, I usually notice it when backing up and I cut my wheel to back out.

I'll have to double check when I drive again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn