2015 Tahoe/Grinding/rough noise from front of vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not if the system is working properly, and if it was in 4hi you'd probably notice it "jumping" or jerking during hard turns or when the drivetrain binds on hard pavement. Called "crow-hopping." Perhaps a bad encoder motor could set it to 4hi but show the AUTO light on.

I had just the opposite happen to mine. We'd switch to 4hi, the 4hi mode light would light on the dash, but we could feel it slip in and out as if it were in AUTO. That was an issue with the encoder motor, verified by using a Tech 2 to show that 4hi was commanded but AUTO was actual.
Interesting, I guess I'm just trying to figure out why this shim was so worn down. Figure it be due to driving rwd on pavement. But maybe not :shrug:

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, everything is back together. And unless I'm going crazy, I still hear a faint remnants of the noise

duke90

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but what about the motor mounts? I know my driver-side one needs to be replaced and I hear/feel a metal banging whenever I give it some gas. I'm hoping it's not the trans starting to give so I will try replacing the motor mount first and see if the noise goes away.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but what about the motor mounts? I know my driver-side one needs to be replaced and I hear/feel a metal banging whenever I give it some gas. I'm hoping it's not the trans starting to give so I will try replacing the motor mount first and see if the noise goes away.
I honestly had not thought about mounts. I'd be very surprised if it was but I will check when I get some time.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, went ahead and replaced every ball joint in the front suspension today. Still no dice.

I have replaced wheel bearings and hubs, lower and upper control arms, sway bar links (front and rear), tie rod ends, replaced the inner bearing in the carrier for the half axle on the driver side, removed the diff to take it apart to inspect it, replaced the 4wd gear shim.

I am out of ideas. The last thing I can think of is the CV I replaced before all this is a dud and that's what I am hearing.

I am lost

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, went ahead and replaced every ball joint in the front suspension today. Still no dice.

I have replaced wheel bearings and hubs, lower and upper control arms, sway bar links (front and rear), tie rod ends, replaced the inner bearing in the carrier for the half axle on the driver side, removed the diff to take it apart to inspect it, replaced the 4wd gear shim.

I am out of ideas. The last thing I can think of is the CV I replaced before all this is a dud and that's what I am hearing.

I am lost
Might take the CV out and drive it a little and see if the noise is still there.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might take the CV out and drive it a little and see if the noise is still there.
That was my next thing to do.

Wast sure if I needed to do anything special to drive around without 1 missing cv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts