Good reason to run a 6.2 on premium fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran across this video while sitting on a Boeing 737, flying home from a work trip for the first time in more than a year.

Anyway, the guy does a teardown on a an auction-acquired 6.2 L92, and makes several comments about it that I did not know. Namely, that these engines apparently frequently suffer from cracked pistons. Seems another good reason to run them on premium fuel. Anyone have any more insight into this one?

premium dude...Premium!!!!....Duuuuude!!!!​

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a clip I took this morning with a full tank of E85. The percentage is about 80% ethanol. My virtual sensor says about 59% this morning. :(

I didn't display all eight cylinders as I wanted to see the TP% and RPMs to compare to previous tests.

What I found out is the engine still hits the knock sensors when accelerating but far less than the 87 E10 I was testing in previous clips. In normal around town driving with normal acceleration I never picked up the knock sensors lighting up, only on sustained hard throttle situations, going up hill.

I will test E10 91 octane next.

just because it says E85 does not mean you're getting 85% ask the gas station clerk for the data on that..... they should have the percentage on the work order sheet....

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran about three tank full of 89 a noticed a rattling sound as I cruised down the street under light acceleration. Filled up with 93 and the rattling went away
the rattling came from inside the SUV

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with you. Both of my 6.2s have only seen premium since I’ve owned them. Especially now since I’m running a black bear premium fuel tune.
same been using 91 (highest available ) since i got it... it gets way better gas mileage on the highway pushing 23mpg on it with V8 mode... not too bad for a 6.0L engine The best i had ever done was 32.1mpg but that was taking a country road I was going under 30mph and down hill for like 10 miles so it was in EV mode

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just because it says E85 does not mean you're getting 85% ask the gas station clerk for the data on that..... they should have the percentage on the work order sheet....
I checked it with a bottle tester.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The highest you can buy at the pump is 83% alcohol content. Sunoco sells E85R which is a full 85%. Whenever I have asked I'm met with a blank stare and the phrase, "I dunno".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The highest you can buy at the pump is 83% alcohol content. Sunoco sells E85R which is a full 85%. Whenever I have asked I'm met with a blank stare and the phrase, "I dunno".

I was about to say- The few times I've asked, they've all just shrugged and pretty much said something along the lines of "we get whatever they fill the tanks with".

The only way to know is to sample it.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all the posts, but I'm guessing that motor was on it's way to 300K miles or else it was very much neglected?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts