Good reason to run a 6.2 on premium fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran across this video while sitting on a Boeing 737, flying home from a work trip for the first time in more than a year.

Anyway, the guy does a teardown on a an auction-acquired 6.2 L92, and makes several comments about it that I did not know. Namely, that these engines apparently frequently suffer from cracked pistons. Seems another good reason to run them on premium fuel. Anyone have any more insight into this one?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never trusted the knock sensors to adjust the timing quick enough to prevent potential engine damage. Mine will never get regular gas. Even when gas was over $4, as it will be again, I never went cheap.
I’m with you. Both of my 6.2s have only seen premium since I’ve owned them. Especially now since I’m running a black bear premium fuel tune.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran across this video while sitting on a Boeing 737, flying home from a work trip for the first time in more than a year.

Anyway, the guy does a teardown on a an auction-acquired 6.2 L92, and makes several comments about it that I did not know. Namely, that these engines apparently frequently suffer from cracked pistons. Seems another good reason to run them on premium fuel. Anyone have any more insight into this one?

And busted rings too. 6.2s are ten and a half to one compression motors. Running anything other than ethanol or 93 is asking for trouble. Those who frequent the forums see the results of folks saying they use 87 in them all the time. GM should have never said that they can use it because really, they cannot if want the motor to last.

The engines on gasoline do not run a separate set of tables like Ethanol does, they pull timing when knock is detected but advance it again and pull it again and so on. Some of the newer engines by Toyota or Nissan, detect the grade of fuel and adjust the timing and fuel accordingly which gives them different horsepower ratings.

Reaction score

This place is only 6 miles from me, lol.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And busted rings too. 6.2s are ten and a half to one compression motors. Running anything other than ethanol or 93 is asking for trouble. Those who frequent the forums see the results of folks saying they use 87 in them all the time. GM should have never said that they can use it because really, they cannot if want the motor to last.

The engines on gasoline do not run a separate set of tables like Ethanol does, they pull timing when knock is detected but advance it again and pull it again and so on. Some of the newer engines by Toyota or Nissan, detect the grade of fuel and adjust the timing and fuel accordingly which gives them different horsepower ratings.
That's the thing. I've been an almost daily participant here for the last year and a frequent visitor for years before that and never knew about the cracked piston issue.

Didn't know about not having different tables, but did know how the knock sensors work (or don't ;-)), so thanks for that.

Reaction score
Much like the heater T's at the firewall, I never knew they were a problem until getting on here a few years ago.

I've never had a problem with the ones on my 2001 that I've been driving for 15+ years and just replaced them for good measure 2 years ago when I was back-flushing the heater core.

Like everything, being on a forum like this makes us aware of the parts that are more prone to problems because we hear about it from a handful of the 69k members that are on here that are having a problem with a particular part. But that's just a drop in the bucket of the hundreds of thousands of GM trucks and suvs that have these same parts that have been sold over the years

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of a fun business, at least until you have broken your nth engine down. :)

Also an interesting thread. After reading it and thinking about it, I checked the compression ratio of my LMG 5.3L and in my model year it is pretty darn close to 10:1. Might be 10:1 with as many miles as it has on it, who knows? I always assumed it likely was more like 9:1 or less, given the regular gas endorsement by GM

I have always run 87 Octane (regular) in it, but looking at the close to 10:1 compression ratio it really gives me pause. I was out and about running errands this morning, so I put my cheapo ODB scanner in live mode and watched the timing advance to see what GM does with it with regular gas stated as GTG. For the most part, under load with the throttle on it hard, the timing never got much above 25 degrees advanced, which was comforting. It would pop way up when I got off the throttle to well into the 50+ degree range, but dropped right back down when the throttle was opened again.

It would be really interesting to know how intelligent the timing curve is managed, based on things like knock sensor input, etc. If it is anything like the fuel pressure management in this first model year 2007, I might be disappointed with the answer. :(

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The part I highlighted in red. I've always looked at my 6.2 as the "hot rod motor." I don't drive like a grandma, but I do treat the engine with kid gloves. The contrast is stark compared to my LY6. High compression aluminum block vs lower-compression iron block HD motor. I couldn't imagine stressing my L9H like I do my LY6, towing heavy and whatnot.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With aluminum heads, compression ratio can be almost a point higher vs iron cylinder
heads given the same combo...
So 10:1 with alum heads is fine with 87 given modern engine controls, etc
Now in the old days about 10:1 is premium octane required with carb, dumb ignition, etc

I love aluminum !! So much lighter. My Small Block Chevy in my Monte SS is an all
alum block (aftermarket block) & alum heads.. It's 11:1 and I'll hit it with 175 nitrous
all on pump 91 octane fuel with no issues..

A lot of times it's the quality of the fuel, not just the octane rating... That's what is
******* engines. From my understanding the fuel around my area - Midwest/KC
is not the best quality. So I generally run some diff types of additional additives
when I know I'm towing hard with my Yukon or just running my stepside/corvette/monteSS
really hard. This hobby is expensive !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9