Good reason to run a 6.2 on premium fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to say- The few times I've asked, they've all just shrugged and pretty much said something along the lines of "we get whatever they fill the tanks with".

The only way to know is to sample it.
ask the trucker he has to know what he is transporting

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all the posts, but I'm guessing that motor was on it's way to 300K miles or else it was very much neglected?
I don't think there is anyway to know. In the video he clearly states he doesn't know the origin of the engine. He does state that he sees tons of the 6.2L's with broken pistons.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that sounds a little inconvenient.

This is how I do it. I take it right off the rail. The good news is my virtual sensor is only off 11% this tankful.

AC6EB85C-C332-4298-91C9-4677A479256E.jpeg
AD68EDDE-DDCC-4600-9B41-162F91146F36.png

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The chances of me being at a station with my Tahoe at the same time the tanker is there is virtually nil. Also, whatever they're delivering will be mixed with whatever's remaining in the ground tanks, so the averaged alcohol content will still be unknown. Also, whatever I'm pumping from that pump will be mixed with whatever's currently in my tank. So, the only way to know what you're burning is to sample some from the fuel rail.

If you wanna know what's coming outta the pump, you'd have to pour a small amount in a container to test. This still would be easier than trying to ask someone that couldn't care less.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chances of me being at a station with my Tahoe at the same time the tanker is there is virtually nil. Also, whatever they're delivering will be mixed with whatever's remaining in the ground tanks, so the averaged alcohol content will still be unknown. Also, whatever I'm pumping from that pump will be mixed with whatever's currently in my tank. So, the only way to know what you're burning is to sample some from the fuel rail.

If you wanna know what's coming outta the pump, you'd have to pour a small amount in a container to test. This still would be easier than trying to ask someone that couldn't care less.
Sounds right.

I started out using a one gallon gas bottle to catch some while pumping. After getting home, I would pour the proper amount into the bottle and check what I had pumped in.

RecentlyI have found taking the sample off the fuel rail is very neat and clean. I use my pressure gauge ******* to the schrader on the rail. I start the truck up and use the dump valve to meter out exactly what I need in the bottle after adding water.

By just bumping the dump valve very precise amounts drip out the hose into the bottle. It is actually really easy to get very precise with no spillage.

The really nice thing with the above approach is I am getting what my sensor is seeing with no math and guesstimates needed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my pressure gauge ******* to the schrader on the rail.
Tsk tsk on using them dirty words again! ;)

Did a 0-40 on pump gas to show her knocking with 93 octane:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tsk tsk on using them dirty words again! ;)

Did a 0-40 on pump gas to show her knocking with 93 octane:

Yeah, seems I should have said "attached the pressure gauge to the Schrader...", we don't want to trigger anyone. :)

Thanks for recording that. Do you run a stock tune?

I am down to a few gallons in the tank and thought I might give some E10 91 a try (I planned to reset my idiot virtual sensor now that I know it will be below 10% Ethanol). I will run the same test with the 91, I bet I get some knocking though. It will be interesting to see if I get more or less than the E85.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seems I should have said "attached the pressure gauge to the Schrader...", we don't want to trigger anyone. :)

Thanks for recording that. Do you run a stock tune?

I am down to a few gallons in the tank and thought I might give some E10 91 a try (I planned to reset my idiot virtual sensor now that I know it will be below 10% Ethanol). I will run the same test with the 91, I bet I get some knocking though. It will be interesting to see if I get more or less than the E85.
I believe that the tune is stock in the Sierra. Checked with BlackBear and they hadn't done it and it idles low and the shift points are reminiscent of mine when it was on the stock tune. But boy does she giddy up and go! 4.8 seconds to 40 mph (corrected for tires) weighing 6700 pounds last night and I think the tires spun a hair off the line too.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the tune is stock in the Sierra. Checked with BlackBear and they hadn't done it and it idles low and the shift points are reminiscent of mine when it was on the stock tune. But boy does she giddy up and go! 4.8 seconds to 40 mph (corrected for tires) weighing 6700 pounds last night and I think the tires spun a hair off the line too.
I ran the old gal way down and filled her up with Phillips 66 - 91 Ethanol Free (it took 22.8 gal, crimany it was like $110!). I have not found 93 anywhere here. I used the Tech 2 and did a recording of the knock sensors, etc., like I did with the E-10 87 and E85, the knock sensors seemed just about as active as the 87 octane clip, maybe it needed to get up a little higher in the load range before firing, but still real active. I will post it up when I have the time to upload it with YouTube.