Good reason to run a 6.2 on premium fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 has two properties that I like:
#1) Hi octane
#2) it cleans things, like injectors, carbon deposits in the intake, combustion chambers, exhaust.
Once a yr or so I'll probably run a tank or two of the E85/87 mix just to keep things cleaned up.
There is another E85 station only 2 miles away but they charge as much or more than what they get for 87 octane.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Seems like a good place to drop this … An e85 kit for around $995. that’s compatible for the non e85 engines in the 07 & 08 YXL, YXL Denali & Esky ESV. Cant tell if standard wheel base is included.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought flex fuel trucks had different injectors.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe FlexFuel vehicles do have higher capacity injectors because there 17% less energy/BTUs in E85 compared to unleaded gasoline

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought flex fuel trucks had different injectors.
Here is a rundown on flexfuel. It doesn't answer the exact question for a given component as I believe many components are shared, once FF is introduced in volume. It is cheaper to just build them all to be compatible in a line that has a lot of FF offerings. I think higher volume injectors and fuel pumps are pretty universal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a good place to drop this … An e85 kit for around $995. that’s compatible for the non e85 engines in the 07 & 08 YXL, YXL Denali & Esky ESV. Cant tell if standard wheel base is included.

Non FlexFuel engines can easily run E15 and some to E20 or more without issue. When I typed on my year, only a Sierra was an option and then only a 4.3 V6, not even the old 4.8 or LY5 5.3 which were not FlexFuel as those engines must have the larger injectors to burn E85.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
E85 is 104-105 octane and can tolerate a higher CR. It cools the intake charge better and therefore makes it more knock-resistant and it also makes the engine run cooler and to some degree, even safer. In most cases it's at least 5% more effícient than gasoline at the same lambda value (up to 25% more efficient on some cars optimized soley for E85). Since E85 has very good cleaning properties as well as leaving behind a by-product of water, it is cleaning the fuel system and it will keep the injectors nice and clean. The combustion chambers, valves, ports and the exhaust will also be cleaner, almost like the car had water injection. In most cases it will cost less $/mile to run on E85.

The down side of E85 is moisture and is a little harder to start in cold weather. It also requires about 42% more fuel to reach stoichiometric, or ideal air fuel ratio. So the stock non-E85 fuel injectors and pump will need to be replaced. You would need injector data segment swap in the tune and also add fueling to VE map and could also add more timing. Issue is for us in the Midwest, E85 isn’t so easily sourced and winter it’s almost useless. So unless you installed a fuel composition sensor and used a flex fuel ECM that would switch between the maps, it’s more of a pain than it’s worth.

The good thing is the O2 sensor doesn't care what fuel its running. It doesn't even know. It will make adjustments to run a 14.7:1 AFR, or Lambda 1. E85 is 9.765 stoich, or Lambda 1. So your O2 just looks for Lambda, not AFR.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my truck's average fuel economy burning E10 versus E85 since 2017 and the differences between the two calculated. As one can see, the difference is a lot less than claimed.

1627437220013.png

Been playing around with alcohol content and R+M octane rating calculators for some time now. I too read that E85 is claimed to be 103 octane, 113 octane, etc. Many different states and governing bodies have also tried to assign octane ratings to the lower ethanol content numbers and whenever I've made a calculator, the numbers never jived. Until recently! Sunoco markets E85R race gas which is a full 85% ethanol. Street legal never gets higher than 83%. Anyway, the important part is, the cans are marked 99 octane. So when I used that number and made a calculator, it jived much closer to what folks tried to assign to E20, E30, E40, etc.

So having said that, if you get a winter blend of 71% ethanol, the octane rating of that fuel is actually 96.8. If you get 51% for example, the octane rating would be 93.7. Of course if you mix some grade of ethanol with 87 or 93 you'll drag those numbers down. Figuring it out all is tough here because we never know what is coming out of those fuel pumps, even Racetrac has been off lately and our governing body is more interested in running for office than doing her job.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a clip I took this morning with a full tank of E85. The percentage is about 80% ethanol. My virtual sensor says about 59% this morning. :(

I didn't display all eight cylinders as I wanted to see the TP% and RPMs to compare to previous tests.

What I found out is the engine still hits the knock sensors when accelerating but far less than the 87 E10 I was testing in previous clips. In normal around town driving with normal acceleration I never picked up the knock sensors lighting up, only on sustained hard throttle situations, going up hill.

I will test E10 91 octane next.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran about three tank full of 89 a noticed a rattling sound as I cruised down the street under light acceleration. Filled up with 93 and the rattling went away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71