Good OBD scanner for weekend mechanic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using generic Bluetooth scanner with TORQUE and it works fine but looking through some of the posts here I see that people are getting more details than I can dream of getting. Many like the Actron CP9690. It's a bit pricy for me, however. Anyone else have a recommendation that will do a better deep dive than the generics?

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for a cheaper all purpose scanner with more advanced features i like innova brand scanners. they sell them in different grades like the actrons and such but tend to be cheaper. tech 2 scanner for gm vehicles also is a great buy im not sure what the current prices on them are but its a gm specific scanner as i can tell and is capable of communicating with the whole vehicle for all your diagnostic needs.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want one of the best diagnostic tools available for your truck, I recommend that you consider a Tech 2. It will provide you with just about any diagnostic capabilities that you will ever need.

Depending upon your budget, you can purchase a Chinese knock-off for about $350. Many folks on this Forum have gone in this direction.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I bought the Tech 2 on ebay for $325 but have yet to use it. Glad to have it for when I need it.

There has to be a reason that when I asked about what to get, on this forum, 95% said get a Tech 2. If I am looking for a lawyer, doctor or dentist, I don't ask for the cheapest, I want the best I can get. Same can be said for the Tech 2.

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using generic Bluetooth scanner with TORQUE and it works fine but look through some of the posts here I see that people are getting more details than I can dream of getting. Many like the Actron CP9690. It's a bit pricy for me, however. Anyone else have a recommendation that will do a better deep dive than the generics?

I just bought Bluedriver OBD2 scanner. It’s a $100 scanner.
It’s a same Bluetooth scanner but does same thing as a pro scanner. Google it and see if it fits you...
I’m happy with it

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hobo freights ZR-13 but only bc our kids drive so many different makes. It’s pretty good does the ABS and airbag stuff but nowhere near what a Tech2 can for my Yukon, which is my only GM vehicle now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a windows tablet or laptop you can get a vxdiag nano (ebay/amazon), it will give you the function of a tech2 on the tablet/laptop (tech2win)
the vxdiag nano runs about $135 sometimes a little less. So far it's the best bang for the buck it also does gds2 which is what all the gm vehicles went to in 2014.

Lalo

Reaction score
Anyone using a GM MDI with a laptop I bought one but have yet to use it because I understand you need a subscription to use on newer GM vehicles ....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157