GMT800 vs GMT900. Which to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99-064ever

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the market to upgrade my current daily, a 05 Highlander with either a 800 or 900 Yukon Denali/SLT though unsure which would be better overall for reliability and dependability. While I'm not scared to buy a higher mileage one with good service records and am aware that typically with higher mileage ones I'll be looking at expensive repairs (suspension, timing chain, control arms, etc) I'm unsure which generation would be better. One issue that I'll run into with either vehicle would be northeastern rusting issues and also navigating it through NY streets but I'll adapt. I do drive around 12-14k miles a year and would love a big cruiser on the highway. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and can wrench on some basic things.

GMT800: Definitely the more basic of the two generations though the suspect nature of the 4L65 leaves much to be desired of. Typically more higher mileage and more likely to run across beaten up examples than relatively clean. That being said, I do have a soft spot for this generation. One pro of this generation would be not having AFM.

GMT900: Much more luxury focus with so much more amenities than the 800 (backup cam, heated/ventilated seats, higher quality interior). The 6L80 isn't that bad (?) at least compared to the 4L65 which isn't saying much. But the big boogy man of this generation is the introduction of AFM which GM ruined a perfectly bulletproof, stout and workhorse engine to a lifter waiting to collapse (damn you EPA). Could find cleaner examples though but at a much higher premium. While I am aware there are tunes/chips that disable the AFM, I have heard the lifters do have a potential to fail.

Thoughts/opinions/advice?
I say the 800 all day for a good reliable work truck especially if you do your own maintenance ...but if you want a nice interior and fancy options go for the 900..I've owned both and will take the 800 on a long trip first without a second thought .

5x10

Reaction score
There’s a 25k mile 08 Escalade not too far that has my attention
BUT

i don’t think the seats are as comfortable as on my 05 Escalade
my 05 has 116k miles so still breaking in it

gonna keep my 05

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT

gonna keep my 05
25k miles? Where the hell is this and how much lol

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
25k miles? Where the hell is this and how much lol
On Cargurus in Texas. Looks very nice. Black interior and a 2WD. Has the old man accessory pack but it could be returned to stock with little issue.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT

gonna keep my 05

BUT

gonna keep my 05

You get used to the seats quickly. I find the 07-09 ventilated seats very comfortable and the blowers actually cool the air not just blow the hot air from inside.

5x10

Reaction score
You get used to the seats quickly. I find the 07-09 ventilated seats very comfortable and the blowers actually cool the air not just blow the hot air from inside.
I bought my wife a fully loaded Tahoe in 2007, I still kinda remember how the seats feel
always thought it was a comfortable vehicle

we had a 2019 Escalade until last year, pretty stiff foam in my opinion

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
So the dude that created this post ghost'd everyone the day after he responded (Aug 10, 2023) a full 7 months ago. :lol2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts