GMT800 vs GMT900. Which to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DefineLife42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the market to upgrade my current daily, a 05 Highlander with either a 800 or 900 Yukon Denali/SLT though unsure which would be better overall for reliability and dependability. While I'm not scared to buy a higher mileage one with good service records and am aware that typically with higher mileage ones I'll be looking at expensive repairs (suspension, timing chain, control arms, etc) I'm unsure which generation would be better. One issue that I'll run into with either vehicle would be northeastern rusting issues and also navigating it through NY streets but I'll adapt. I do drive around 12-14k miles a year and would love a big cruiser on the highway. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and can wrench on some basic things.

GMT800: Definitely the more basic of the two generations though the suspect nature of the 4L65 leaves much to be desired of. Typically more higher mileage and more likely to run across beaten up examples than relatively clean. That being said, I do have a soft spot for this generation. One pro of this generation would be not having AFM.

GMT900: Much more luxury focus with so much more amenities than the 800 (backup cam, heated/ventilated seats, higher quality interior). The 6L80 isn't that bad (?) at least compared to the 4L65 which isn't saying much. But the big boogy man of this generation is the introduction of AFM which GM ruined a perfectly bulletproof, stout and workhorse engine to a lifter waiting to collapse (damn you EPA). Could find cleaner examples though but at a much higher premium. While I am aware there are tunes/chips that disable the AFM, I have heard the lifters do have a potential to fail.

Thoughts/opinions/advice?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest the 800s, as they seem to be the last generation before GMs bankruptcy, when things apparently went down in terms of quality. Do check me though --I'm delivering this via memory from reading up on them.

Secondly, I suggest looking outside the rustbelt for a non-rusty example.

FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and/or OfferUp for examples. Also, the cost outside outside of New York is likely low enough that you can not only afford to buy a good example, but you can likely cover the airfare there and pay for your trip back.

OP
OP
D

DefineLife42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suggest the 800s, as they seem to be the last generation before GMs bankruptcy, when things apparently went down in terms of quality. Do check me though --I'm delivering this via memory from reading up on them.

Secondly, I suggest looking outside the rustbelt for a non-rusty example.

FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and/or OfferUp for examples. Also, the cost outside outside of New York is likely low enough that you can not only afford to buy a good example, but you can likely cover the airfare there and pay for your trip back.
Yeah I was considering going out of state for a non-rusty example or an exceptional frame around the tri-state area.

I mean I can find 04-06 Denalis relatively in good condition for around $5k which in a market like this is a steal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say 2010-2014, turn off the afm I don't think it is that much to worry about to be honest.
interior is less likely to get ratted out, get a black interior because under the paint they are all black anyway so when the paint wears off or gets scratched guess what? you get to look at black worn spots. the only thing you ever see worn out on these is the ac control buttons, steering wheel trim pieces, maybe the center console pleather. all easily replaceable.
and yes the dash cracks, that can be covered with a dashmat or if you desire they make a cap.
I loved my 800 had it for almost 15 years but I wouldn't go back
Wife is still driving a 05 but i'm going to move her up as soon as I find "the one" maybe a escalade. Prices seem to be getting much more reasonable lately even seeing some reasonable K2's out there

OP
OP
D

DefineLife42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say 2010-2014, turn off the afm I don't think it is that much to worry about to be honest.
interior is less likely to get ratted out, get a black interior because under the paint they are all black anyway so when the paint wears off or gets scratched guess what? you get to look at black worn spots. the only thing you ever see worn out on these is the ac control buttons, steering wheel trim pieces, maybe the center console pleather. all easily replaceable.
and yes the dash cracks, that can be covered with a dashmat or if you desire they make a cap.
Wife is still driving a 05 but i'm going to move her up as soon as I find "the one" maybe a escalade. Prices seem to be getting much more reasonable lately even seeing some reasonable K2's out there

The interiors on the 900 chassis are really nice all things considered. Good dash materials, and functional as well. Yeah I know the HVAC controls tend to be worn down more quickly than anything. I looked at the Escalades of both generation, they look like but I do like the subtleties of the Yukon Denali.

Airman68

Reaction score
I agree with this. Just nicer overall, more modern. Definitely want the 6 spd tranny. I have the 4spd (2008) which is ok but I suspect the 6spd will get better mileage and tow much better. However you cant go wrong with a nice 800, just not much to worry about with them, very reliable.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both as well and am partial to the 2007-09 years with a 6.2L. The 6 speed is nice, and when serviced properly it performs well. Heck, most higher mileage ones have already had it replaced either under warranty or otherwise.

The newer LS motors with VVT (especially 6.2L) are animals and sound good. Decent fuel economy, comfy seats, and good handling overall in my book. I actually prefer my 2008 to my 2017 in seat comfort and engine burble.

As stated the climate buttons suck and get worn off, and the stupid dash cracks from a non-salt area sucks, but it beats dealing with rust.

Use FB, auto trader (private seller), etc and look out west (I use Sacramento as a hub) and down south (Norman, OK as a hub). Had good luck both places. Good questions/research up front, then a one-way ticket, and a fun joyride home. Think of it as an adventure. Just be sure to buy some Murphy repellent when you head out - basic hand tools, some fluids, etc if you are handy just in case.

Happy searching!

OP
OP
D

DefineLife42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had both as well and am partial to the 2007-09 years with a 6.2L. The 6 speed is nice, and when serviced properly it performs well. Heck, most higher mileage ones have already had it replaced either under warranty or otherwise.

The newer LS motors with VVT (especially 6.2L) are animals and sound good. Decent fuel economy, comfy seats, and good handling overall in my book. I actually prefer my 2008 to my 2017 in seat comfort and engine burble.

As stated the climate buttons suck and get worn off, and the stupid dash cracks from a non-salt area sucks, but it beats dealing with rust.

Use FB, auto trader (private seller), etc and look out west (I use Sacramento as a hub) and down south (Norman, OK as a hub). Had good luck both places. Good questions/research up front, then a one-way ticket, and a fun joyride home. Think of it as an adventure. Just be sure to buy some Murphy repellent when you head out - basic hand tools, some fluids, etc if you are handy just in case.

Happy searching!
Yeah it wouldn't be unheard of to hear a transmission or two replaced with either generation. I mean I'm getting a massive beefy full-sized SUV with a beefy V8, I expect gas mileages to equal that. I'd rather deal with a cracked dash than having swiss cheese holes in my frame.

I thought about taking a small trip somewhere down south/midwest to get a clean framed one. Yeah I have some basic hand tools, gonna bring a aftermarket head unit with me to swap out in like a Walmart parking lot so driving back is a lot easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts