6.2 gas vs. 3.0 Duramax, which one to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
isp5190

isp5190

Reaction score
Drove from Florida to Texas this weekend. I have a 23 Tahoe with 6.2 liter and Corsa exhaust. Tahoe has 3500 miles. I did not drive in Sport mode like I normally do but I turned off the Auto Stop. Below are the mpg results. (Used the DIC readings)

Full trip - mostly hiway at speed of 75-80 mph
Miles driven - 770 miles
Avg speed - 68.0 miles/hr
Avg mpg - 20.7 miles/gal

Last tank of gas - mostly hiway at 75-80 mph but 100 miles at 65-70 mph due to rain
Miles driven - 407 miles
Avg speed - 66.1 miles/hr
Avg mpg - 21.3 mpg

I have pictures if you want verification.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fuel efficiency of this rig.
Thanks for the info.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I sent this to my brother that just got a new Suburban with the Duramax. Thanks
This is an old video and all it really proves is that this is a pretty tough engine to last that long with lousy to no real maintenance or care. Has zero to do with the engines durability or longevity if cared for......

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who says it wasn’t cared for? I watched the whole video and don’t remember him saying it wasn’t cared for or maintained. The inside is quite clean, it looks pretty well cared for to me. The metal is still its original color. I’ve seen gassers that look way worse than that.

I think this is the only reported 3.0L complete failure I’ve heard of so I wouldn’t really worry about it either way. The timing chains in the rear is absolutely stupid though. I wouldn’t buy any vehicle designed that way (looking at you, Audi).

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an old video and all it really proves is that this is a pretty tough engine to last that long with lousy to no real maintenance or care. Has zero to do with the engines durability or longevity if cared for......
Old video? Just released Saturday?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s just going refute anything anyone says that is remotely negative about trucks. All I said in my original comment in this thread was the 3.0L leaks and has more maintenance and he jumped all over me. I was going to post a video I made of all the creaky panels in multiple 21+ vehicles but figured it wasn’t worth the effort because he’ll still say I’m wrong because his doesn’t do it and I don’t need to be right as badly as he does.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really think it could get 168K views in just a few days? Most likely reposted from previous....
Yes... He posts his videos every Friday/Saturday, and he has quite the following with 268k followers. Its not a repost.

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Who says it wasn’t cared for? I watched the whole video and don’t remember him saying it wasn’t cared for or maintained. The inside is quite clean, it looks pretty well cared for to me. The metal is still its original color. I’ve seen gassers that look way worse than that.

I think this is the only reported 3.0L complete failure I’ve heard of so I wouldn’t really worry about it either way. The timing chains in the rear is absolutely stupid though. I wouldn’t buy any vehicle designed that way (looking at you, Audi).
Oil pump belt, not timing chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts