GMT800 vs GMT900. Which to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to convert a GMT800 to front struts?
We can pretty easily utilize an L92 / L9H / L94; think Lingenfelter (?) makes a 58x /24x signal converter.
A GMT800 utilizing a 6L80E is a bit more daunting of a task (I do miss the 6L80E in my '12 Yukon XL-SLT) ...
I'm pretty sure the newest Holley ECU now can operate the 6 speeds. I don't know if it requires a 58X or 24X reluctor wheel or how the Holley computer interacts with the stock gauges and stuff like that of the GMT800s.

There's some guys on the performancetruck.net that have working on a 6 speed swap on their GMT 800s with that TCM-2650, but I can't recall if it's actually worked. Unfortunately, not an easy swap at this point.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the market to upgrade my current daily, a 05 Highlander with either a 800 or 900 Yukon Denali/SLT
One of the members on here @firemhan is selling his 2009 LTZ Tahoe which is rust free with the awesome non-AFM 6.2 L9H motor. It has 3.42 gears and the 6-speed transmission.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a GMT900, DAMN, that's a beaut! 6.2L, no V4 mode, 3.42 rear (VIN & ebay description says 2wd)...
If I could, I would ... DAMN ...

Plan ahead, buy a torque converter upgrade to suit your tastes to replace the OE one that the seller didn't, before it takes out the 6L80E. That way you won't regret your purchase.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the members on here @firemhan is selling his 2009 LTZ Tahoe which is rust free with the awesome non-AFM 6.2 L9H motor. It has 3.42 gears and the 6-speed transmission.

Did I miss how many miles?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 has more power for the same size engine, better mpg, and an optional 6.2.
Better transmission option with the 6l80.
Looks better.
Nicer interior.
The cons are they tried goofy shit in the engine bay to increase MPG. On paper DOD, AFM, and VVT are great, but they make other things worse. You can buy without or remove all of it.

The reasons to go with a GMT800 over a 900 are:
it's cheaper to buy one. Even factoring in the semi recent used-market price increase, they are still cheaper. Maybe you just don't have $10-$15K to drop for a new one right now, but you know that's something you will do over the next several years.
Cheaper to own one. Parts are pretty easy to find new, and used stuff is always coming into the yards. If you have the time to put in the work on an 800, then it's not too bad to get em to where they should be.
If you plan on doing quite a few modifications, then save yourself some money, get a GMT800, and upgrade that same stuff you were going to upgrade on the newer style too. There's nothing from a GMT900 or better that can't go into an 800 if you have the time and money, even if that's years down the road.

FOR OP: who appreciates the niceties, and a lower mileage example is in the budget. Then a 900 will be a nicer unmodified vehicle than an unmodified 800. If you don't plan on doing ALL your own work, then for you, a NNBS.

I just wouldn't want to buy a bad example of a 900, just because it's cheap, and can just fit it into the budget. I would rather buy a good vehicle, and you could do things right away like get a tune, or a truetrac, maybe upgrade the brakes, or have some cash so when that next fix comes along, there's some leftover to make it the next mod.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 has more power for the same size engine, better mpg, and an optional 6.2.
Better transmission option with the 6l80.
Looks better.
Nicer interior.
The cons are they tried goofy shit in the engine bay to increase MPG. On paper DOD, AFM, and VVT are great, but they make other things worse. You can buy without or remove all of it.

There is nothing wrong with VVT. It increases low end power (the biggest benefit IMO), increases fuel economy, and hardly ever breaks.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VVT causes the the valves to wear more quickly. It does benefit the power curve and the MPDs, however, so it's a toss up which is better. Turning cylinders off and on is horrible.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does it cause the valves to wear more quickly? They open and close with exactly the same lift, duration, and pressure from the springs, just different timing. Valve issues not caused by a broken spring are extremely rare. I’ve never seen it in all my years professionally and only seen it maybe a couple of times in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar