6.2 gas vs. 3.0 Duramax, which one to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isp5190

Reaction score
Looking to get a 2021 - 2023 Escalade, not sure to get the Duramax or the gas? What kind of mileage (MPG) are people getting? Both are about the same torque. I do tow a ski boat or a JD compact tractor at times. Have not had any trouble with towing using our 5.3 Tahoe.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the gas engine problems GM is having, I wouldnt touch a GM with a gas engine in it. Find a DM if you can!

I personally dont own a DM, but I have a friend that owns 2 of them, both are very high miles at 130k+ and 150k+(E$cort oversize business), and he loves them. Only issue he had was during covid, he hit a animal, and it took forever for it to get repaired.

Padraig

Reaction score
I have had my Suburban with Duramax for about a little over a month and put on about 2,000 miles. Have also hauled my boat about 100 miles. My previous Suburban was a 5.3 and there is no comparison. Average mpg is 26 to 27.5 but have seen as high as 31. Hauling a 6,000 boat and trailer on a 4 lane my mpg was 18.5 mpg. So far, I love this vehicle and diesel.

Padraig

mckdeezle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I love my Duramax

I'm averaging 26-27...my best is 36.7. pretty proud of that.

I have no trailering input, we haven't had to tow the boat (yet).

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my bank account could stand it the diesel would be my choice. Still a lot of tech systems to go bad but the basic drivetrain should be dead reliable for many years.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spun bearings and failed lifters or oil leaks and expensive diesel maintenance. Take your pick.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel maintenance? 7 quarts of oil and a filter. Fuel filter about once a year...25 bucks on rock auto -10 minutes to change. Thats it. Bulletproof drivetrain, average 25 mpg all day.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wait until any of the emission systems fail, injector(s) fail, or you put in some DEF it doesn’t like. Unless you’re a new car every 3 years person so you’re never without a warranty, it’ll cost you eventually. And DEF that is below quality isn’t warrantable either.

I wouldn’t have any of the last two body styles, though, no matter the engine, because the quality is complete crap.

beefcake83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 6.2 with 25k on the clock. ‘22 RST. Love it! Zero problems at this point and when I want it to move it is a bullet. The downside is that it takes premium fuel and the best I can get is 21 on a flat highway with no wind. Of course, diesel is just as expensive as premium these days.

I love diesels and had one before but this is just the way it worked out for this vehicle. My next one will be a hd truck with a dmax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia