Gieger counter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are definitely not alone! I have the exact same "Gieger counter" noise coming from under my dash somewhere and its driving me batty!
I had a Jeep Wagoneer that the speedometer cable would make the same noise in the cable housing while it turned...hmmm
No speedometer cables anymore so cross that off your list.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure it's not the little round vent in the headliner above your head...sounds like you have pinpointed this to the dash area but when my HVAC ambient temp sensor fan started dying, the words "geiger counter" could be used to describe the sound.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure it's not the little round vent in the headliner above your head...sounds like you have pinpointed this to the dash area but when my HVAC ambient temp sensor fan started dying, the words "geiger counter" could be used to describe the sound.
I never even thought about that since he said it was coming from under the dash but it could be.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never even thought about that since he said it was coming from under the dash but it could be.

Yeah and it sounds very decentralized too. I kept hearing the sound for the longest time but I could never figure out where it was coming from. It wasn't until I read about that temp sensor issue on this forum that I looked up at that little vent and figured it out.

Smin41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a gieger counter under drivers side dash. Tick click sound. Sometimes more clicks sometimes less. Does not do more or less no matter what you do. Steering, speed, bumpy road, nice road, moving steering column, turning. Turning off all electronics does nothing. Nothing changes the constant noise except stopping. Or going under 5 mph. Stops sometimes for no apparent reason. Sometimes for days. Sometimes for minutes. Making me crazy. Any ideas? Thanks 2015 Yukon Denali
I’ve been having the same issue on my 2020 Tahoe, I only hear it in the morning when it’s cold out and I first get in the vehicle turning the wheel produces a plastic a clicking noise like a geiger counter. After the cabin temperature warms up it goes away and I don’t hear it for the rest of the day , I attached a link to a video I took if you listen closely you can hear the clicking noise

danazap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been having the same issue on my 2020 Tahoe, I only hear it in the morning when it’s cold out and I first get in the vehicle turning the wheel produces a plastic a clicking noise like a geiger counter. After the cabin temperature warms up it goes away and I don’t hear it for the rest of the day , I attached a link to a video I took if you listen closely you can hear the clicking noise
were you able to figure this out? we have a similar noise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645