Gieger counter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
will try it.
Haha....feel your pain!!!! My 08 Yukon has done something similar for years. Kept hoping whatever it was would just give-up and then would be able to determine source as I dont feel like going under the dash. Like teddy said, I think mine is HVAC related because I have got it to stop when changing defrost/vent selections, almost sounds like a regulated HVAC pressure valve that is "hunting". Mine also sounds like the noise also comes through the audio system I presume from the chime and warning system maybe.

Leo1103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '12 does it on startup, I'll see if I can grab a video. It almost sounds like lifter tick but its more sporadic, less consistent, and not rpm dependent.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar noise in my 02. Turned out to be the mode actuator, which is the super hard one to replace on that model.

Leo1103

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry for the potatoe cam, front camera turned on for some reason.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Supply fan motor to hvac has toasted bearings. If installed, clogged cabin air filter or an obstruction in the hvac ductwork or flap gone wild.

It sounds rotational and spinning off axis. Order an automotive stethoscope on the cheap from China Freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are definitely not alone! I have the exact same "Gieger counter" noise coming from under my dash somewhere and its driving me batty!
I had a Jeep Wagoneer that the speedometer cable would make the same noise in the cable housing while it turned...hmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy