Gas Tank Strap Rusted Off. Now What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkdgirl

Reaction score
In late 2019, my mechanic had to go through the Tahoe floor to change the fuel filter because the gas tank straps were so rusted, if he took them off, he wouldn't be able to reattach to the very rusty frame. Today, when I found a squirrel tail under the Tahoe, I checked to see what the heck was going on, and it looks like a squirrel got caught up under the tank and in the struggle, lost its tail and ripped the rear strap off on one side.

Knowing the frame/attachment is too rusted to reattach, is there anything else I can do? The engine is so strong in it, I'd hate to have the rust finally win. It's my winter beater BTW.

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with welding on something new. Another budget option for a "winter beater" is drill a new hole through the floor with a long bolt and put a huge washer or small piece of sheet metal on the top side so it doesn't pull through.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the side that has the hook (driveshaft side) or the side with the bolt?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be checking underneath every time I got in or out from now on... There is a squirrel with no tail out there somewhere and he is really pi$$ed! He'll be looking for revenge!!

If there is anything left of the frame, you could either weld something on there or you might even be able to attach some kind of angle steel with bolts into the frame.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Thanks all! I've been on vacation and just now getting back to this. As for welding to the frame, the frame is so rusted no one will do it. I do like the idea of through the floor. As for what side (driveshaft, etc.), I'll crawl under today and take a look see.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other thing I might suggest is a visiting a plumber supply store and getting something to hang around the frame to which you can attach a new strap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts