Gas Leak 2008 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a $5000 winter beater in Nov 2019 when we returned from overseas as I was vehicle-less. Well, the pandemic came and I still have it. It is well rusted (orginally a NY state vehicle which is even worse than MN : )

I had a gas tank strap rust through recently. I had that replaced. Then I could smell gas when the vehicle was filled up (nothing on the ground that I could see). Originally I thought it was because my wife had overfilled it or something - but the smell stayed.

If I put in 10 gallons or so no smell. If I put in too much then I get a smell until I burn off some.

Given it is cold and I don't have a lift, I have not even looked at it.

It is a pretty rusty vehicle so it could be the filler tube rusting through and made worse by gas tank strap being replaced - who knows.

I did have an evap 442 code when it sat idling for 20 minutes. That cleared and did not come back and no other codes.

Any ideas?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a $5000 winter beater in Nov 2019 when we returned from overseas as I was vehicle-less. Well, the pandemic came and I still have it. It is well rusted (orginally a NY state vehicle which is even worse than MN : )

I had a gas tank strap rust through recently. I had that replaced. Then I could smell gas when the vehicle was filled up (nothing on the ground that I could see). Originally I thought it was because my wife had overfilled it or something - but the smell stayed.

If I put in 10 gallons or so no smell. If I put in too much then I get a smell until I burn off some.

Given it is cold and I don't have a lift, I have not even looked at it.

It is a pretty rusty vehicle so it could be the filler tube rusting through and made worse by gas tank strap being replaced - who knows.

I did have an evap 442 code when it sat idling for 20 minutes. That cleared and did not come back and no other codes.

Any ideas?
Fuel pump mounting plate on top of the tank. Notorious for rusting out and letting out vapors. Gotta drop the tank and replace the pump.

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2007 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 developed a leak last fall after filling tank, towing travel trailer. I made it home but noticed if I trusted the gauge I was in trouble after running out of fuel twice while back in the city. Fast forward, I only drove it to tow boat last fall 10 miles each way and my mechanic said to try to get it empty, plate was probably rusted as posted here.
Took it in this morn for repairs and looking forward to the next fix,,,,LOL
Great advice in this forum!

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting update.........2 fuel tanks in my truck?
Picked up truck and jokingly I asked mechanics if I should go ahead and fill the tank, No Problem.
Went across street and 3 minutes into filling, customer yelling that I'm leaking fuel bad. I stop and go back to mechanic but not leaking . Once on lift they discovered there is a tank above mtyspare........I left and will see what they discover. All are certified mechanics and said that truck should have only 1 tank, I'm trusting but wallet better not get hit.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting update.........2 fuel tanks in my truck?
Picked up truck and jokingly I asked mechanics if I should go ahead and fill the tank, No Problem.
Went across street and 3 minutes into filling, customer yelling that I'm leaking fuel bad. I stop and go back to mechanic but not leaking . Once on lift they discovered there is a tank above mtyspare........I left and will see what they discover. All are certified mechanics and said that truck should have only 1 tank, I'm trusting but wallet better not get hit.
The 2500s all have 2 tanks.

Jakeo1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE #2
YES GeoTrash I found out!
All 2500 SUVs of that year range have 2 tanks my mechanic now found out and the entire crew.
Got a call Wednesday first thing and was told the manager -owner was not available until Thursday. NO I did not find that to be a "story" as I knew he had personal item on that day but was assured truck was being attended to. Later in the day he calls me after his personal matters were through and assured me that a second pump and all other items were ordered and would be ready Thursday.
Thurs at 1:06pm phone rings, he's delivering truck to me after just filling tank!
We talk and go back to shop where the mechanic that worked on it showed me both old pumps and old things they replaced.
No mention of additional cost to me but they were more concerned of losing a customer......OMG!
Yes I looked up costs of both pumps and estimate the labor and believe you me, they have a customer that will spread the word about their honesty!
My "plan" is to stop after driving this weekend and buying all lunch.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
UPDATE #2
YES GeoTrash I found out!
All 2500 SUVs of that year range have 2 tanks my mechanic now found out and the entire crew.
Got a call Wednesday first thing and was told the manager -owner was not available until Thursday. NO I did not find that to be a "story" as I knew he had personal item on that day but was assured truck was being attended to. Later in the day he calls me after his personal matters were through and assured me that a second pump and all other items were ordered and would be ready Thursday.
Thurs at 1:06pm phone rings, he's delivering truck to me after just filling tank!
We talk and go back to shop where the mechanic that worked on it showed me both old pumps and old things they replaced.
No mention of additional cost to me but they were more concerned of losing a customer......OMG!
Yes I looked up costs of both pumps and estimate the labor and believe you me, they have a customer that will spread the word about their honesty!
My "plan" is to stop after driving this weekend and buying all lunch.
During my recent build thread, I either did work on my own vehicle in my friend's shop or he did some work and charged me next to nothing. I bought the two guys and their wives dinner 3 different times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts