Front end rebuild Harsh over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brh11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I finished rebuilding the entire front suspension down to everything but the knuckle and hub. But going over bumps or especially speed bumps it feels like the front end is slamming into the ground from how hard the impact is. I can almost feel every little bump and big ones just have such an impact it’s scary. Before getting an alignment I figured it was just very horribly aligned( which it was) but now that it’s in spec it’s doing the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which components did you use???
Did you put weight on the susp before torqing down the control arms??
Did the alignment guy see anything suspicious???
Give us some more details

OP
OP
brh11

brh11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well here are a few details

I used everything from moog parts besides Delco factory electronic shocks and new r&p

Alignment guys said nothing but I have faith in it being either coil springs or tires.
Coils looked pretty good when putting them on but I have a sense they might just be worn out from years of rough roads and use before I took hold of it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

I used everything from moog parts besides Delco factory electronic shocks and new r&p

Alignment guys said nothing but I have faith in it being either coil springs or tires.
Coils looked pretty good when putting them on but I have a sense they might just be worn out from years of rough roads and use before I took hold of it.

Any suspension codes???

The shocks may be new but the control module may not be allowing them to soften up.

@iamdub can tell you more but I think he unplugged his front struts as a test and they got real soft but I can't remember for sure.

You could try unplugging them, just as a test, and take it for a ride and see what happens.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Coil springs, including those around the struts, will ride softer when worn.

Any suspension codes???

The shocks may be new but the control module may not be allowing them to soften up.

@iamdub can tell you more but I think he unplugged his front struts as a test and they got real soft but I can't remember for sure.

You could try unplugging them, just as a test, and take it for a ride and see what happens.

Correct. I unplugged all four shocks and it was really soft, as in dangerously soft. Felt like really worn out shocks with no control. I went less than half a mile before I pulled over to plug them back in. The ride isn't horrible, but I know it should be considerably softer and it will be after I lower it with the Belltech shocks and struts.

@brh11, Was the ride as firm before you replaced the shocks? If you have new OEM electronic shocks and they ride the same or worse, then you may need to perform some kind of reset or recalibration on the suspension computer.

OP
OP
brh11

brh11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just checked and nope no codes for the suspension

Ride is definitely worse then before, the whole front end ball joints and everything was in horrible condition previously so hard to tell exactly what was causing it but yeah feels like going over bumps that the whole front end is slamming down onto the road but hitting soft spots or smooth roads Feels pretty good but still too firm

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked and nope no codes for the suspension

Ride is definitely worse then before, the whole front end ball joints and everything was in horrible condition previously so hard to tell exactly what was causing it but yeah feels like going over bumps that the whole front end is slamming down onto the road but hitting soft spots or smooth roads Feels pretty good but still too firm

I know how the system works in general, but not how the system processes. My thoughts are that it's still reacting as if the old worn shocks are still there. Now that you have new shocks, which are inherently firmer, they're gonna be even firmer with the controller telling them to firm up because it still thinks the old ones are there.

Unplug the front two or all four and go for a short drive. It's an easy 3-minute test.

*EDIT*

I just thought of something: Did you happen to spin the shaft any when installing the new ones?

Last edited:
OP
OP
brh11

brh11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope didn’t spin the rod but got some news

Breaking out the scan tool on the morning drive brought up some questions.Graphing the results on the front 2 shocks damper command I’ve found some odd results

The shocks seem to only have 3 values that they are damping the first about 18-25% for occasional small bumps but hitting two bumps in a row only throws the first command and not a second. Random 100% commands when there is no bump in the road at all, occurred about 6 times over 20 minutes. Stopped at a red light the command is about 25% and holds until I go on the green light

Possibly unrelated but now this morning I have a CEL for module communciation bus A off. But seeing as it is sending a command the odd time I’m ruling that out and probably something got disconnected from the super rough ride and I wouldn’t be surprised if it did

*edit*
Just disconnect the sensors and took it for a ride. Definitely softer suspension and better. Still hits too hard potholes and bumps but it’s a start

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Nope didn’t spin the rod but got some news

Breaking out the scan tool on the morning drive brought up some questions.Graphing the results on the front 2 shocks damper command I’ve found some odd results

The shocks seem to only have 3 values that they are damping the first about 18-25% for occasional small bumps but hitting two bumps in a row only throws the first command and not a second. Random 100% commands when there is no bump in the road at all, occurred about 6 times over 20 minutes. Stopped at a red light the command is about 25% and holds until I go on the green light

Possibly unrelated but now this morning I have a CEL for module communciation bus A off. But seeing as it is sending a command the odd time I’m ruling that out and probably something got disconnected from the super rough ride and I wouldn’t be surprised if it did

*edit*
Just disconnect the sensors and took it for a ride. Definitely softer suspension and better. Still hits too hard potholes and bumps but it’s a start

Did you unhook the ride height sensors that have the rod connected to the upper control arm OR did you unplug the connector on top of the strut shaft?

OP
OP
brh11

brh11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope disconnected the electrical on the top of the shock