Free to me 1996 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ban me if you don’t want this here, but I’ve missed all you butt lickers and this involves a Tahoe for some bit of it. Anyway this is my new to me and free 1996 GMC2500 4x4, 5.7, 4l80e, ECSB. My uncle wrecked it into a palm tree in his driveway 5 years ago and just recently kicked the bucket leaving it to me, sort of…

So here it is after I drug it out of the garage it sat in, in Green swamp FL for the last 5 years.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics

First mods going to be putting some 255/75/17” MTs that were on my ranger on these 2007ish ram power wagon wheels I’ve had for a few years and onto the truck with the factory GMC caps. Then tomorrow I’m going to look at and buy the front end repair parts I need off this 99 Tahoe that happens to be a perfect match paint wise! Lastly I think I can put this diff cover I have laying around on the back of the new truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    697.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 4
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 5

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A fine piece of machinery/equipment and easy enough to get parts. LMC Truck for any new parts that you cannot get good used parts for it.

My girl has a 1990 K2500 that I like working on.

Shaggy has another forum I belong to for this truck, GMT400.com. Great forum there too and busy.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Did you swap the rear axle?

I've got a 2000 K3500 CCLB SRW version of one of these. Mine also has the 5.7 SBC Vortec. I don't use it much lately though.

My buddy Shakenfake on PT.net was asking me about these OBS rear axles earlier today... he's local to me and I actually have met him in person. He's a cool guy. You can PM me if you have any questions. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fine piece of machinery/equipment and easy enough to get parts. LMC Truck for any new parts that you cannot get good used parts for it.

My girl has a 1990 K2500 that I like working on.

Shaggy has another forum I belong to for this truck, GMT400.com. Great forum there too and busy.
I’m sure I’ll be spending lots of monies over at LMC! These trucks do appear almost easier to work on than GMT800 stuff. I actually just started a thread over at GMT400 as well I just didn’t expect it to be alive, boy was I wrong!
Nice! Did you swap the rear axle?

I've got a 2000 K3500 CCLB SRW version of one of these. Mine also has the 5.7 SBC Vortec. I don't use it much lately though.

My buddy Shakenfake on PT.net was asking me about these OBS rear axles earlier today... he's local to me and I actually have met him in person. He's a cool guy. You can PM me if you have any questions. :)
I haven’t axle swapped anything on this truck yet. According to our mutual friend you told him any 2500 with a 350 would have a 9.5sf right?

I should have looked at the axle when I pulled the wheels off yesterday to see if it was a FF but I didn’t. I will today after I get the tires mounted to the new wheels tho.

I have met him as well actually, not local at all but, well, long story lol.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll be spending lots of monies over at LMC! These trucks do appear almost easier to work on than GMT800 stuff. I actually just started a thread over at GMT400 as well I just didn’t expect it to be alive, boy was I wrong!

I haven’t axle swapped anything on this truck yet. According to our mutual friend you told him any 2500 with a 350 would have a 9.5sf right?

I should have looked at the axle when I pulled the wheels off yesterday to see if it was a FF but I didn’t. I will today after I get the tires mounted to the new wheels tho.

I have met him as well actually, not local at all but, well, long story lol.
Sweet. I was pretty active on that forum, but decided to move on... hopefully my old posts help you. My username has like one letter less than username here.

Anyways, yes: your 2500 should have the 9.5" semi float if it came with the SBC. The 2500s with the BBC/TD came with the 10.5 full float axle. The full float has the hub sticking out from the center. That's true as far as I know for the automatic transmission option.

What is the plan for the truck BTW?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I was pretty active on that forum, but decided to move on... hopefully my old posts help you. My username has like one letter less than username here.

Anyways, yes: your 2500 should have the 9.5" semi float if it came with the SBC. The 2500s with the BBC/TD came with the 10.5 full float axle. The full float has the hub sticking out from the center. That's true as far as I know for the automatic transmission option.

What is the plan for the truck BTW?

I hope it has the 9.5, I can’t imagine I’d ever hurt a 9.5 with 250hp and I already have parts for them.

My goal is to have a mostly stock tow rig, I figure the 5.7 with small tires and the 4.10s should pull a standard car hauler trailer with another car or truck on it fine. Florida is flat and I don’t plan to take it on cross country trips loaded. Probably level the stance with either a lower level or tiny tiny crank to the T bars, 32”s, replace all the front end with the beefiest stuff I can find, and maybe a few minor things like the PCM swap to tune it, big radiator and trans cooler, and little stuff like that. No engine or trans swaps, I’m not a fan of autos but it’s a 4l80 so it’s about as good as it gets for strength.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it has the 9.5, I can’t imagine I’d ever hurt a 9.5 with 250hp and I already have parts for them.

My goal is to have a mostly stock tow rig, I figure the 5.7 with small tires and the 4.10s should pull a standard car hauler trailer with another car or truck on it fine. Florida is flat and I don’t plan to take it on cross country trips loaded. Probably level the stance with either a lower level or tiny tiny crank to the T bars, 32”s, replace all the front end with the beefiest stuff I can find, and maybe a few minor things like the PCM swap to tune it, big radiator and trans cooler, and little stuff like that. No engine or trans swaps, I’m not a fan of autos but it’s a 4l80 so it’s about as good as it gets for strength.
Yeah, you should be good. I just saw your differential photo: that's definitely a 9.5". 10.5" differential cover is a little different and more "segmented" perimeter, for lack of the better word.

Along the things that separated the SBC vs BBC/TD in the C/K 2500s are the brakes: I see that you have vacuum assist brakes, which is what the SBC always got from my recollection in the 2500s. You can upgrade to the hydro boost setup that the 2500 BBC/TD got. All C/K3500s got hydro boost, regardless of engine, in case you want to go look at the wrecking yard for parts.

My K3500 has hydroboost, and I'd say they are adequate, but I've never driven a similar truck with vacuum brakes (except my 1999 Silverado GMT800).

Rotor swaps and rear drums are two things I don't like on these trucks. Drum brakes scare me (LOL), and they a bit "grabby" on the first stop, especially when wet. And the front rotors on the 8 lug requires you to remove the knuckle to remove them; they don't simply slide off like on the later trucks 8 lug. I was kinda blown away how much work is to replace rotors when I first watched the video on YT...so I've never messed with either on my OBS, LOL.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 K2500 5.7L ECLB, been a good truck. It has the 9.5" with C clips and 13" drum brakes. I don't live in flatland and pull a 28' enclosed race trailer around the mountains with it. I did the NBS master cylinder swap and it improved my brake feel a lot. Otherwise my truck is completely stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019