How to: NNBS '08 Yukon Denali Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ennis_D

Reaction score
5/20 Edit: Switchback wiring, DRL bypass update, resealing housings, headlight aiming, etc. See a few posts below. TIA!

Okay guys, I've been working on a retro for my wife's '08 Denali this week. Along the way I have tried to document the process and important steps in hopes that it could help someone else down the line. This write up is not quite as detailed as I would like but I have been working on this all while juggling my 1.5yr old son around as well. Some pieces that may be missing were done while multi-tasking. If there is a step that is unclear, or missing, and you have questions, please feel free to ask. I will answer them the best I know how.

Projectors: Morimoto Mini D2S
Shroud: Apollo 3.0
LED: 110mm switchback LED's
Bulbs: Morimoto 4300K D2S

1) Make an OEM headlight adjustment reference

I parked my wife's truck in the driveway about 20-25 front from our garage door. If possible, find a flat surface to park the truck and make this reference. I used paint to make the center of the front tire on the edge of the drive in the grass in case I had to move it for some reason. I also noted where the OEM beams "cutoff" on the garage door. This height and separation measurement will be useful to get your new retrofit pretty close to where they should be aimed in the final step.

(Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of this process)

2) Remove OEM headlights from truck

There are plenty of threads here, and online, on how to remove these headlights. Some may find steps here "unnecessary" to them but this is the easiest way I have found to remove them without damaging any of the fender, bumper, or upper grill.

Pretty basic tools here: 10mm socket, ratchet, 7mm socket.
# of bolts I removed: x7 10mm bolts, x8 7mm bolts.

A510AF80-482D-4A79-BAE3-EC522F887767_zpsl9mjvm3j.jpg

Start by removing the 10mm bolts along the top of the upper grill and upper headlight tabs. I sat these bolts inside the tray behind the driver headlight in order to keep up with them.

47A47C6E-C314-45AD-AC22-6EA71EC84427_zpsrouodakr.jpg
6D1BF15E-7662-4F66-9B83-43287D26C791_zpsaak3ltkh.jpg

Next, look at the fender liner of the front wheels. In front of the tire, attaching the fender liner to the front bumper, you will see x4 7mm bolts per side. Remove these bolts to gain access to the bottom most 10mm bolt holding the headlight in place:

8E0E6CF7-A919-4D67-80ED-3FFB3E78A82F_zpsqa9dur5b.jpg

Once those are out, "peel" the fender liner back and look behind the fender. There is x1 10mm bolt back there that has to be loosened. You do not HAVE to remove this bolt if you do not want to. That call is up to you. Should look like so:

8E924F1C-6487-4912-B169-5F2722452273_zpsqgimndhi.jpg

Once that bolt has been loosened, wiggle the headlight free from the bucket. Watch where it makes contact with the inside of the bumper/grill assembly along with the edge of the fender. Take your time here. I pulled the grill assembly out from the car a bit, freed that side of the headlight and removed it that way. One tab at the fender will take some patience to get it to clear the corner there but it will come free. Once almost free, unplug black and grey harness plugs to headlight to free it completely from the truck.

3) Prep and bake the headlights

To prep, remove the OEM headlight bulb, turn signal bulb and park light. Remove the harness for the park light and turn signal as well. Remove rubber "housing cap" that is around the OEM bulb holder. Keep all of this stuff (outside of OEM headlight bulb) as you will reuse it later. Also, remove the x2 T15 bolts from the back of the housing near the outside parking light prior to baking.

2566B18E-AAF5-4094-86E4-6FAD3501C994_zpssxt8fsp5.jpg
2A8F4E68-AA13-489F-8E98-8518D1B52B62_zpsgsmsjilf.jpg

Now, in doing research for this project, all I heard was how hard it was to open OEM housings. I decided to try it before spending $180+ on a set of DEPO's (said to use butyl and be the easiest to open). This step was surprisingly easy for me. Not sure if it's because I have done a few of these over the years or what. I managed to get mine right open after one cycle in the oven.

I baked mine @ 285* for 10 minutes. I preheated the oven WITHOUT the metal rack in it. Once hot, I placed the rack back in and the headlight (face up) on it. Be careful not to allow the headlight to touch anything else in the oven outside of the rack.

(don't judge my dirty oven!!!)

3555370A-C747-42DB-A4D3-9819F0A95DF7_zpspkavdvte.jpg

Use pot holders to remove the headlight and rack. Set them in separate places. Keep oven ON in case you have to heat for another cycle.

I used a smaller flat head screwdriver to wiggle around the housing seal. I loosened the "locks" on the little bumps all the way around the headlight then started getting it between the lens and back housing and prying it free. I got to a point where I could grab a corner and pull it apart with my hands. Be careful not to let the "glue" string on the inside of the headlight when you pull it apart.

Set the lens off to the side and you should be left with this:

E7A4C4C5-32C4-4377-8D58-C657FE6BEB4E_zpszykwy2qm.jpg

4) Retrofit

Once you have headlight like above picture, remove the x1 T15 bolt to remove the OEM bulb "cover" on the reflector bowl.

9FDC3840-2C8A-4D80-BE40-9DD85609DF7A_zpsdwhnbhbb.jpg

When you flip the headlight over, you will notice that the OEM bulb holder is too deep for the projector to clear. You will have to modify this part by sanding it down as well as making the opening wider. I used the lock nut for the projector as reference for size:

E7FC51D5-1338-415F-A0B6-46189BBE57A5_zpsociefy5q.jpg

Use your projector to gauge how far down to sand the OEM bulb holder. You will also have to sand the outer ring in order to have access to the lock nut down the road. I used a Dremel tool with a sanding disk and cut off sanding wheel to make this part happen:

9AA1AF6D-990B-4384-B5EB-08B8CDD7487F_zps44jbzyzk.jpg

I widened the hole first. I worked a little at a time and kept checking with the threaded neck of the projector until it will clear the opening. After that, I switched to the cutoff wheel to trim down the depth of the bulb holder and outer ring. Final product looked like so:

94B58EC4-EFDD-4A81-9D10-6F6FEB13AE0C_zpsnwlrpxy8.jpg

You want those surfaces as even and smooth as possible. This gives a uniform surface for the lock nut to hold onto.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO SAND AND CUT OFF TOO DEEP OR WIDEN OPENING TOO WIDE!!!! Too deep and you get into the back of the OEM reflector bowl...too wide and you will lose that OEM bulb opening to the reflector and you will be S.O.L. at that point!!!!

Test fit the projector and make sure you have enough clearance and depth for the lock nut to tighten down. Install order from reflector bowl side is projector->silicone washer->through headlight->lock nut. Once you are clear, check clearance with bulb and igniter. I had to keep working a bit to get the lock nut "deep" enough to allow room for igniter to be able to lock onto the bulb. Be careful here as well as I have snapped off the bulb "nipples" before during this step. If there is a bit of resistance, either try and tighten the nut more or sand the bottom of the igniter base to clear.

Eye ball the horizontal alignment on the projector if all fits well. You will confirm and adjust this later to where it will be at install back on truck.

5) Installing switchback LED's into backside/inside of Apollo 3.0 shrouds.

I sat the LED rings in the shrouds and make a Sharpie mark on either side of the mounting bumps on the rings. Make them wider than the bump if you are using wire to mount like I did.

Drill these holes using a 3/64" (~1mm) bit and I used 20GA wire from Hobby Lobby:

3E88AF74-0986-473B-A98F-FA3F1DE432CF_zpsgephwnk9.jpg
9FF2E5FC-4C3C-4A16-9B9B-F6F2A5423EE5_zpsg0w0jiu0.jpg

There were x6 holes, x2 per mounting bump location, on each shroud. Insert the wire into the holes from the outside of the projector in. Take each lead and make a tight, 1 pass, loop around the LED ring. Trim off excess not to interfere with projector. Here is the instructions from the site:

XSB Halo 2.0 Switchback Install Instructions

D8761202-AC12-44C6-8029-79D1DA2D2686_zpsjajjmkzt.jpg

Once LED's are secured, onto routing wiring

6) Route highbeam solenoid control wires and LED wires

I drilled a 5/32 hole just below the T15 OEM bulb cover bolt through the front of the projector and out the back of the housing. Plug the solenoid control up and route those through the hole and out the back of the headlight. Unpin the red and black wires on the LED control and route those out the back as well. Test the highbeam solenoid on a 9V battery using BRN = - and WHT = +. If all is well, install those wires in the supplied 9005/6 style plug and this will plug directly into the harness.

I have yet to get to the LED wiring. Seems as if you will have constant 12V+, ground and the orange goes to the turn signal lead on the truck. I gather if you do not wish to use the amber turn signal function, you can leave this lead off and it will be fine.

Where the hole for those wires comes out the back of the housing, I put some clear silicone to prevent moisture in the headlights:

10EE0328-6EE3-455C-B049-60462ED2DDAA_zpsf0zs4afi.jpg

7) Install and route harness.

You have a lead to the battery + and ground, a ground for each ballast input, MotoControl box mounting, ballast mounting, harness to ballast and igniter to ballast. On my truck, with only one battery, I tapped into the passenger side headlight plug and did NOT have anything that will go to the driver side headlight plug. This part I will leave up to you as there is no concrete way to mount and route this. The harness is labeled so its pretty easy.

8) Check horizontal alignment of projectors and functionality of all wiring

Install headlights prior to sealing them back up. Make all connections. Look in engine bay fuse box and remove 15A fuses for DRL and DRL2. I THINK the #s are 30 & 32. There is a diagram on the inside of the lid that will direct you to which fuses to pull.

Rotate projectors as needed and tighten lock nut on back to secure. Once your satisfied, install shrouds.

9) Seal lights

Back in the oven at 285* for 10 min to reheat OEM glue, out and press the lens and rear housing together. I purchased the butyl from TRS so I will be doing that to ensure a good seal.

Seal light, install, make connections, ENJOY!

Last edited:

LADenali

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're a braver man than I for doing these mods. Did you modify the housing in any other way to improve appearance?

OP
OP
E

Ennis_D

Reaction score
No, she wanted to stick with the OEM look. I just finished them up tonight and will post an update on LED wiring and output pictures as well!

Thanks!

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stuck with the OEM look for my build as well. Great write up. I went with the Eagle Eye housings to use for the retrofit and I'm really wishing that I had been brave enough to use the OEM housings as the fitment and quality is vastly different between the two. I look foward to seeing pictures of your finished project.

Joe

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Nice work and the mini is a good projector. I prefer the fxr over them but much more labor into retrofit them into stock lights

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work and the mini is a good projector. I prefer the fxr over them but much more labor into retrofit them into stock lights

Could've been worse... I went with the RX-350... and they were a pain as far as how large the projectors are. They are as far forward as posible in the housing without hitting the housings and still had clearance issues in the back for wiring.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good so far I can't wait to see the finished pics and output shots. I've been planning on doing mine just haven't had the time but I ordered the mini d2s's also I just need to get a new set of lights and some free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Ennis_D

Reaction score
Update:

- Switchback wiring:

I managed to wire up the switchback LED's prior to install. The leads coming from the LED ring(s) have a plug on them that plug to the control box, that part is a no-brainer. For the input side of the control box, you need constant +, ground, and + for the turn signal function. I tapped into the turn signal and park light harness on the back of the OEM headlight for this part. At the bottom of the headlight, you have a 3-pin plug containing a BLU, BRN, and BLK wire. Functions are:

BLK = ground
BRN = constant + for park light (white part of switchback)
BLU = turn signal +

With that figured out, you will tap into those wires with the control box wires like so

(from control box -> OEM harness)

RED -> BRN
BLK -> BLK
ORG -> BLU

If you are not interested in using the switchback/turn signal function, leave the ORG wire untapped and tape it back. I made the switchback harness into a neat "bundle" and zip tied it to the OEM turn/park harness.

If I hadn't already installed the lights I would take a picture of the wiring. I forgot to do this during the process. Here is a still shot of how they worked out. I will try and get a video up soon of them in action:

(sorry, its raining here today)

With park lights on:

43FAC7B3-17AB-4AD4-94E3-D77A17521132_zpswcdjcpdd.jpg

With hazards/turn signals (running hazards for this quick pic thats why the outside park light is not on here):

323BEF2D-1BBD-4DCD-B460-EE9689BF9F46_zpshlswnskz.jpg

- Headlight sealing:

So I purchased the Retro Rubber Butyl when I bought the setup. I have done OEM butyl headlights before and had mixed results upon resealing without using new material. Here is my suggestion:

Buy the retro rubber and use it to reseal the OEM housings! Before placing it into the channel, take a razor blade and try to remove the OEM sealer as best you can. At least get it to where the channel is wide enough to accept the new butyl. When you are placing it in the channel, stretch each run out to where it is narrow enough to completely fit in the channel. The way it comes out of the box, it is too wide. stretch, place in channel, press with your finger and keep moving. Once you make a complete "lap" with the butly, cut with scissors and butt it up to where you started.

Back in the oven at 270* for 7 minutes (this coming straight from the directions on TRS' site RetroRubber) and seal the lights back together. I used pliers to gently squeeze around the edges and also pressed both sides together with my hands. Housing will be HOT so be careful!

If you are not comfortable with how a section looks, keep working with pliers, or your hands. If that does not work, give it some time to cool and apply a bead of clear silicone in that area. I had a few spots I had to "touch up" with silicone as I didnt clean the channels well enough on my second light across the bottom seam.

-
DRL Bypass:

So in my original post, I said to pull fuses from the bay fuse box to bypass the DRL's on the NNBS trucks. I was reading this How To online and did not realize I was reading on OBS &/or NBS trucks. I pulled those fuses and some times it would work and some times it wouldnt. More research showed to wire some resistor inline to the light sensor on the dash. I'm not going through all of that trouble. I will leave it be until the ballast &/or bulbs burn up and see how much life I get out of them.

The issue is that when you turn the key to the on position, the HID's come on. Soon as you cross over to start the truck, they are back off and immediately back on when the truck starts. There are claims that state powering the ballast on, off and back on without time for them to fully power up is not good. I shall see how long I get away with it. I am probably going to order a spare pair of ballasts to have around in case one takes a dump because of this.

Update to DRL bypass:

Peep this video from TRS' YouTube page. It is them rapid firing their XB35 ballast for a full minute +. I think from this video alone, we NNBS owners would be good keeping the auto/DRL function with the on-off-on at start up. If not, I think this would give you a leg to stand on for a warranty claim.

Rapid Fire Test of Morimoto XB35 Ballast

-
Headlight aiming:

There is a stem standing up from behind of the headlight. I used the same T15 bit to make this adjustment. This stem ONLY CONTROLS VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT. One way moves the beam up and the other way moves it down. THERE IS NO HORIZONTAL ADJUSTMENT FOR THE HEADLIGHTS THAT I HAVE FOUND SO FAR! The owners manual does not even MENTION horizontal adjustment. I think if I would have known this prior to install, I would have used the 4 mounting holes around the projector to mount it and incorporate the ability to adjust the cutoffs left and right. Mine could use some left to right adjustment but then again I am super picky about aiming my retros and obtaining the best alignment possible. Something I will have to deal with as long as oncoming drivers do not seem bothered.

I will update more as I move forward!

Here is a still shot right after I sealed the lights last night. I will post action/output shots later!

4F5CE098-D4A4-44F2-9B44-080197D8493F_zpsrhdaj0of.jpg

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
There is minimal horizontal adjustment. There are two screws at the bottom of the bowl that pivot off the upper. The single upper allows vertical adjustment. The bottom two bolts can be unscrewed and tweaked for horizontal. I had to open mine back up and a small washer for each side to adjust the horizontal alignment. I used washers to keep screws tight with alignment changing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts