Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a bed in my brother's house.
View attachment 409844

Just a bit under 1/2 way leaving San Antonio at 0005 in the morning.
View attachment 409845View attachment 409844View attachment 409849View attachment 409847

USS Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. Really pretty drive across the Bay. No time to stop and take a look, but those guns....

Pulled from the webz.
A large, heavily armored and gunned ship. The USS ALABAMA was armed with:
9 × 16 in (406 mm) guns
20 × 5 in (127 mm)DP guns
6 × quadruple 40 mm (1.6 in) AA guns
35 × single 20 mm (0.8 in) AA guns
View attachment 409848

I woke up too early again in San Antonio, but had gotten some sleep. I was out the door and on the road at 0000. I wanted to get home in the 3 days, but I was still 24 hrs out and nobody to trade off with. My wife wanted to fly in and drive back with me, but that wasn't really an option with the kids in school and spending money on a flight ahead of my travels, so we talked on the phone a lot as she was tracking my progress. lol

I sailed through San Antonio and miles and miles of construction, battling the 18 wheelers in the narrow sections with concrete barriers on either side, mere inches from the door, on uneven and bumpy roads while there were trying to not hit the other side. Felt like I was racing NASCAR with way more at stake. Scary as hell!

I still hadn't really left total civilization like in New Mexico and needed a stop at 0330 and Buc-ees was on my list to stop at. We don't have these in S. Florida and I missed my chance to stop at one during a lacrosse tournament last season up north. It was everything that everyone had said. If you know what I'm talking about then you know. If not, go look it up. The size of the fuel stops in Texas have so many pumps, it is crazy. Fuel prices were in the low to mid $3/gallon 87/89 and diesel was under $4/gallon the entire state and into Louisiana. The Florida panhandle would start ticking up and S. Florida was higher, but not as bad as the $7/gallon in California I saw comparatively.

I was pretty tired, so I put my sunshade up and next thing I know, I had slept/rustled for about an hour and decided to get back on the road at 0445. Ready to do battle with Houston, at least I had avoided the dreaded rush hour standstill and got through to the other side in good time, but battled the concrete barriers forever. Even had to get off on the frontage road due to construction and the police waving us through. Finally I spit out onto the open road and gotta love the 80mph speed limit in Texas. I could feel the effects of not enough sleep on top of the exhaustion setting in. I crossed into Louisiana a little after sunrise, hit up a fuel stop and got another 30 minutes of rest, but couldn't seem to get any more.

My wife was calling often to see how I was doing, plus my brother and I had many calls talking about administrative stuff and I always had tunes going. I cruised through Mississippi and Alabama with Tallahassee being my plan before sunset. The rest area stops were more often and the fatigue was real. I saw a Suburban facing the wrong way across the interstate and their caravan had broken free and was upside down and flat as a pancake. You could see the bedding and bikes like a nice piece of cake sitting there. The traffic was backed up as EMS was on the scene, but didn't look like anybody had been hurt due to the Chevy still being on 4 wheels.

Traffic was never a problem as there were no holidays to contend with. This was just a long day and pushing too hard. No issues, the car ran well. The fuel tank when full showed in the upper 400 miles to empty. The DIC fuel calculations showed 30mpg and average speed of 70mph as I just set the cruise control and kicked back watching the landscape go by.

Getting to Tallahassee was rough. I finally got into town. Thankfully FSU was playing at Clemson so the town was not full of fans. I fueled up, cleaned the bugs off the windshield and noticed a nail in the passenger rear tire. Very close to the sidewall. MFkr!! I had noticed the TPMS was low even when I was with my dad the first time. When I first arrived one side was at 41psi and the low tire was showing 26psi. The tires were all over the place. When I took it in for the service before I left AZ, I had mentioned it to them, asked again on payment and they said they couldn't see anything. Maybe I picked it up later or they missed it? Don't know, but there was one there and I still had 450 miles to Ft. Lauderdale to go.

I grabbed some food, saw a tire shop and stopped in at 1745, just before they closed and he said nope. Too close to the sidewall. I asked them to air me up so all 4 corners were the same and found a motel that had a good review online and that was an outright lie!

It was a POS, well used and abused typical big college town, brand name, next to many others near I-10. It was rough, but I got a hot shower, ate my food, watched some college football, made some calls and sacked out. The Day 4 final push was in the morning.

There were some very noisy guests outside my door and up and down the stairs that would wake me up in a few hours, but I managed to fall back asleep, then again at 0230. Half asleep, I called the front desk and nicely told them about the noise and said I had just driven in from San Antonio for 18 hours the day before (yep left at 12midnight and arrived at 1800 the same day) and I was up in a few hours and to please get them to STFU!!!

I was on the road by 0500 wanting to wake those noisy guests up, but was grateful the tire still had the same air as the night before and never wavered during the travels down south. I ran into the first rain I had seen in 2.5 weeks and it hammered down. I arrived home a little before 12noon shattered and glad to be there. Not much time to waste, we had a BBQ with some long term friends that I thought was just a small thing, but it was loud and 20 people or more. I tapped out quickly as I was too tired to socialize. It would be the first night in a loooong time that I actually slept 8 hours without staring at the ceiling or getting up. I felt very groggy, but grateful the next morning.
The Alabama is a cool ship. You can go from the engine room to the highest level on the mast.

ifn you know what you’re looking at, you can see asbestos.

Don’t miss walking through the USS Drum next to it!

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buick post.

Installed Husky X-Act Contour floor liners in the 1st and 2nd rows and a Weatherbeater cargo liner (they don't make an X-Act Contour cargo liner) in the back.

A few extra $ for the X-Act Contour liners sure makes a difference with the softer feel and look in the interior.

A nice change from the simple carpeted mats that came with the vehicle, plus there was one mat missing for the 2nd row.

Brand new out of the box and hadn't had a chance to melt in the sun to the countours, but they fit and look great now!
IMG_3318.jpegIMG_3321.jpeg

Decided to pull the wheels and polish the microscratches from the car wash runs my dad used to do. I tried leaving them on, but canned that idea, set up the table and made a polishing workshop in the shade and a yard sale of everything needed to make them look great.

That turned into an all day affair along with a substantial rain delay, but the end result sure turned out very nice. Not 100% perfection without cutting deeper, but glossy and reflective is what I was after.

BEFORE
IMG_3350.jpeg

AFTER
IMG_3351.jpeg

Cleaned up and polished the insides too.
IMG_3357.jpeg

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buick post.

And the nail in the tire that I’m not sure where I picked it up, but likely drove over 1000 miles or the entire 2500 miles with it stuck in there. Not sure actually.

Had my buddy order me a new Continental 245/45/20. $300 later!! Grrr...Got to his shop and he pulled the nail out (no need to worry about it working it’s way out anytime soon lol). I showed him the 2nd nail that was stuck in the fender liner that I found when I removed the wheels to polish out. Guess I got lucky I didn’t have 2 nails or a blowout on my travels. Mounted up and back in business.

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3375.jpeg

IMG_3355.jpegIMG_3378.jpeg

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buick post.

And the nail in the tire that I’m not sure where I picked it up, but likely drove over 1000 miles with it stuck in there. Not sure actually.

Had my buddy order me a new Continental 245/45/20. $300 later!! Grrr...Got to his shop and he pulled the nail out (no need to worry about it working it’s way out anytime soon lol). I showed him the 2nd nail that was stuck in the fender liner that I found when I removed the wheels to polish out. Guess I got lucky I didn’t have 2 nails or a blowout on my travels. Mounted up and back in business.

View attachment 410500

View attachment 410498

View attachment 410499View attachment 410497
Damn I am so jealous. I keep this mason jar for tire repair souvenirs. That curled up nail is such a treasure.

IMG_6011.jpegIMG_6012.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Buick post.

Installed Husky X-Act Contour floor liners in the 1st and 2nd rows and a Weatherbeater cargo liner (they don't make an X-Act Contour cargo liner) in the back.

A few extra $ for the X-Act Contour liners sure makes a difference with the softer feel and look in the interior.

A nice change from the simple carpeted mats that came with the vehicle, plus there was one mat missing for the 2nd row.

Brand new out of the box and hadn't had a chance to melt in the sun to the countours, but they fit and look great now!
View attachment 410494View attachment 410495

Decided to pull the wheels and polish the microscratches from the car wash runs my dad used to do. I tried leaving them on, but canned that idea, set up the table and made a polishing workshop in the shade and a yard sale of everything needed to make them look great.

That turned into an all day affair along with a substantial rain delay, but the end result sure turned out very nice. Not 100% perfection without cutting deeper, but glossy and reflective is what I was after.

BEFORE
View attachment 410491

AFTER
View attachment 410492

Cleaned up and polished the insides too.
View attachment 410493
Came out amazing. Even the insides! You 1 bad mofo!!
I found this in a jy. Screenshot_20231004_232609_OfferUp.jpgScreenshot_20231004_232618_OfferUp.jpgFound it in a small Buick suv. Oem, and it's heavy duty rubber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came out amazing. Even the insides! You 1 bad mofo!!
I found this in a jy. View attachment 410512View attachment 410513Found it in a small Buick suv. Oem, and it's heavy duty rubber.
Thx Tony. Good find in the junk yard.

I looked at the Buick floor liners as they had a wavy pattern and logo. But I could not find front row liners to complement the 2nd row and cargo area (prices were good too), so I went with the trusty Husky liners and am pretty happy with them so far.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I am so jealous. I keep this mason jar for tire repair souvenirs. That curled up nail is such a treasure.

View attachment 410508View attachment 410509
No need to be jealous...lol...I've had some good ones like that too. Some plugged, but the brand new $300 tire was a bit excessive, especially as it had well over 50% tread....grrr.

Some good hardware in that jar for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The girl at Cognito sent me the new, smaller sway bar bushings at no further cost (product or shipping) and told me to keep the larger bushings she had previously sent. Cognito is no longer carrying that particular sway bar or parts and she informed me that it is actually a Hellwig rear sway bar and to revert to them for any future info. Damn good customer service.

Being fresh bushings, they were a bit more of a challenge to get all lined up with the holes because everything was so tight. I got the passenger side started, with some persuasion, but could not line up the 2nd drivers side hole well enough to get the bolt into the hole straight enough. Rounded off a few threads, thus not allowing the bolt to hold the bushing bracket solidly to the axle pad. Grr…. I got some bolts, nuts and washers from Advanced Auto Parts, in hopes I could make that angle work, but they were too long and bottomed out on the axle.

I messaged my shop owner buddy and took it to him on Monday morning first thing for some assistance. He popped it up on the lift and cleaned up the threads on one hole and ended up putting nuts on the bolt ends to make sure they held tight.

The trailing arm clunk on the passenger side is gone as he was able to get the impact on there and tighten it up. He confirmed that the bushings were still intact. Will wait on the Spohn replacements for now.

During his suspension wiggle, he also found that the passenger rear shock mount was loose and creating some noise. He tightened that up as well.

A worthwhile visit to the shop on a busy Monday morning, with lift priority, thankfully. The drive home seemed solid, but I need to run it through the paces a bit more err aggressively? Lol. There was no clunking or rattling going over the speed bumps at low speed. That alone was worth the time/few shop $ to have my friend look it over more.

Buick is going in for an oil change this week.

A couple days ago, before I messed around with the Suburban sway bar bushings, I pulled out the Porter Cable and went to town on the Buick after a wash and clay bar. The detailers did a good job on the interior in AZ, but just kind of glossed over the exterior. Maybe there was a comms error, so I took matters into my own hands.

Spent some extra time on the rocker panels (small chrome strip and the gloss black) as they had some of the same scratches as the wheels did from the car wash brushes. Looked just meh to me when clean. Turned out pretty nice after a couple steps. Polished the windows out and applied some more Rain X.

Add some miles and better MPG to the Buick and keep it off the NNBS. 1/2 the price to fill the smaller tank and many more miles around town. Burb stays much cleaner inside now too. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660