Fool me twice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canoedude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Considering a 22’ burb or Yukon XL with a 3.0. Currently have a ‘21 burb z71 with 5.3 that’s in the shop again (lifters at 8500) now waiting on parts for air ride…going on almost 3 weeks . I don’t think the system is meant for rapid temp changes (went from 40 above to -20 in 24 hours before system crapped out) Am I a complete fool to try again with a 22 and 3.0 with no air ride??? I love the truck just not the issues. I knew about lifters but 3.0 dmax doesn’t seem completely trouble free either…

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering a 22’ burb or Yukon XL with a 3.0. Currently have a ‘21 burb z71 with 5.3 that’s in the shop again (lifters at 8500) now waiting on parts for air ride…going on almost 3 weeks . I don’t think the system is meant for rapid temp changes (went from 40 above to -20 in 24 hours before system crapped out) Am I a complete fool to try again with a 22 and 3.0 with no air ride??? I love the truck just not the issues. I knew about lifters but 3.0 dmax doesn’t seem completely trouble free either…
What's wrong with the DirtyMaxs?

OP
OP
C

Canoedude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look up long crank no start….there’s a few pages on GM forums. I know people with issues are vocal (me being one of them). I thought “the lifter won’t change my decision….” 8000 miles later and sitting with the fam 2 hours from home gave me pause.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The long crank issue does affect some LM2 Duramaxes. It basically cranks and doesn’t start, only very occasionally, and always starts on the next try. Nothing that’s going to strand you out of state or leave you without a vehicle for weeks at a time. Nor is it a ticking time bomb…
I personally haven’t had it on mine, and my dealer said if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. They have already come up with a software patch to eliminate this, which is a fix. There is no comparison the problems that people are having with 5.3 and 6.2 vs Dmax. By and large the Dmax platform has been fairly bulletproof and is the engine of choice in this vehicle platform…..

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have the combo you're considering, and all I can say is that I've had zero issues with mine after eight months. No failure to start, no smells, zilch. That could change tomorrow I suppose, but so far I love it. I find it quite comfortable w/o air ride. Cruises quietly at any speed. About 24 MPG in daily driving and 28 MPG on the interstate if i keep it below 80. What do you give up compared to the 6.2? A little bit of acceleration once you reach 60 MPH or so and remember to add DEF at oil changes. If you just don't like diesels, can't help you. Otherwise as an alternative to the current problematic V8's, seems a no-brainer to me.

OP
OP
C

Canoedude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sold on previous 2 replies. Thank you. And I wanted the diesel but needed a rig at the time.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking the lifter issue has more reported issues than any diesel issues out there, mainly due to the number of gas units sold vs diesel. Haven’t had any issues on my 5.3 thus far and sitting at 8500+ currently (May 21 build). If I do, I’ll consider the DMaX. I love this rig!!!

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking the lifter issue has more reported issues than any diesel issues out there, mainly due to the number of gas units sold vs diesel. Haven’t had any issues on my 5.3 thus far and sitting at 8500+ currently (May 21 build). If I do, I’ll consider the DMaX. I love this rig!!!
your build should be pre-lifter issue

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your build should be pre-lifter issue
Yeah it’s after. Supposed there where some groups on FB reporting same issue on 07/21 builds but haven’t seen any on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts