Fool me twice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We rented a '21 Burb for 30 days w/o the air ride. I thought it was a fantastic ride. I came from a 2017 Denali XL, which I thought rode terrible. Im in a '21 3.0 Duramax and absolutely love it. I follow every little piece of info on this motor and it seems bulletproof so far. I would do it again tomorrow. Not many issues at all. I havent had an issues but the no start a coupke of times in 8000 miles, but starts right up after. Thee is a software update that corrects this. Great motor. They are out 4 years and no big known issues.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Still an issue today. 3.0 all the way.

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Still an issue today. 3.0 all the way.
So that thread... The guy picked up his Z71 in Oct 2021, with potential that the engine was built before a "fix" was in place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DFM isn't causing issues with lifters anymore, I'm sure it is. But the number of gas engines without problems still outweigh those that do. Of course, I could be eating my words in a few months, but this is my opinion.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that thread... The guy picked up his Z71 in Oct 2021, with potential that the engine was built before a "fix" was in place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DFM isn't causing issues with lifters anymore, I'm sure it is. But the number of gas engines without problems still outweigh those that do. Of course, I could be eating my words in a few months, but this is my opinion.
Agree with you.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the number of gas engines without problems still outweigh those that do.
Well that’s a pretty low bar of quality. I’m sure glad they’re not making aircraft engines….

V8’s have been built for 100+ years…. They build anywhere from 800-1200 vehicles a day at Arlington,vast majority are gasoline. Let’s say the failure rate is 10%. Which is a much stiffer bar than stated above…. that’s 100 vehicles a day going out the door that are ticking time bombs. I have no idea if 10% is high or low. Regardless of the numbers, that is totally unacceptable for technology that’s been around and perfected as long as this has been… especially for engine internals failing…

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way the failure rate is anywhere near 10% or we'd be hearing a lot more about this than a handful of people here and there with lifter failure. They're building hundreds of thousands of these rigs in a years time so their success rate sure seems to highly outnumber the failure rate. I'm not saying it isn't ******** that this is happening to people but I'm not so convinced anything that rolls off the line without a diesel under the hood is a ticking timebomb

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Across the board i don't like any of the new stuff...
Dads 2017 Silverado with5.3 needed top end rebuilt after the AFM collapsed spring problem 30k miles
best friends 2018 Ford raptor 3.5. engine needs overhaul after rear main seal failed causing some kind of oil pressure issue and "bent or warped" something ( he got some over explained problem that i couldnt quite understand from the dealer)
military buddies 2.7 ford eco boost f150 needed new turbo at 70k miles
wifes 2021 Blazer RS. AC compressor seized at 8k miles
Brothers 2019 Silverado needed a complete rear end replacement after noticing a clunk caused from improper backlash from the factory.

most of these were covered under warranty granted but it doesn't bode well with me that most of these parts failed before 100k miles. hell, my wife's old chevy cruze gave us zero issues for the 8 years we owned that car i put 93k miles on it and the only thing that went wrong on the car was the factory nav system was bugged due to us not paying for the software update.

so far, no issues out of my 2020 silverado HD but one of the reasons i bought it was because the L8T has more in common with my old 98 Yukon then a 1500 of the same year. it's kind of a dinosaur tech wise with the lack of AFM, an actual hydraulic power steering system Iron block aluminum heads, tried and true 6 speed 6l90 instead of a 10 speed. ect....

What i dont like is the rush to bring stuff to market which i feel like is starting to plague the auto market like it has been for electronics for the past number of years. case in point my Iphone 13 pro max is HOT GARBAGE in comparison to my old 6S plus. I honestly might have the @yates ™ sickness and might go back to an android next as im not impressed at all with how buggy and finnicy the 13 is and this is my second phone. the first one was taken back for "software issues".

If i didnt need a Tow pig for my trail truck im not sure i would have bought new even though i came close to buying a 2021 SLT yukon when i was shopping but it didnt have the towing capacity i needed. kind of glad it didnt.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your build should be pre-lifter issue

Really…. Define any 2021+ model year being pre-lifter issue? Have you not read up on how many of the K2XX ‘15-‘20 models have had lifter issues and lifter failures due to AFM? Hell there are even lifter issues in the 2007-2014 MY.

So GM changes the name to “DFM” instead of “AFM” and still each “fuel saving” system continues to have lifter issues and failures in the valve train.

I’ve had a Range DFM disable module installed on my ‘15 Yukon XL Denali for almost 80K miles now. Still had a failed lifter (covered under warranty, thank you GM dealership). Additionally, what I’ve learned is that at the end of the day AFM/DFM doesn’t even add that much more additional mpgs. We’re talking maybe an extra 5% +/- mpgs that the “fuel saving technology” systems might add. An increase in mpgs that is so negligible that I bet the majority of us would give up and forego if it meant we could go 100K+ miles without a top-end valve train failure, or worse catastrophic engine failure, at the expense of getting 5% less mpgs.

Well that’s a pretty low bar of quality. I’m sure glad they’re not making aircraft engines….

V8’s have been built for 100+ years…. They build anywhere from 800-1200 vehicles a day at Arlington,vast majority are gasoline. Let’s say the failure rate is 10%. Which is a much stiffer bar than stated above…. that’s 100 vehicles a day going out the door that are ticking time bombs. I have no idea if 10% is high or low. Regardless of the numbers, that is totally unacceptable for technology that’s been around and perfected as long as this has been… especially for engine internals failing…
I agree with you 99%

The 1% being that american pushrod V8’s with all the added AFM/DFM mpg gas saving emissions pleasing ********* have not been being built for 100+ years.

Mfgs keep adding “technology” to save mpgs to please the emission requirements as much as they can so they can even keep producing ICE V8 engines. Meanwhile the very same “technology” is significantly reducing reliability of the age old simple pushrod V-8 design that you speak of.

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw one of Scotty’s YT clips posted a few hours ago; I guess there was another class-action lawsuit against GM regarding the 8-speed automatic transmission. Tldr; clearly there’s an issue with it as there are 60 technical service bulletins regarding the transmission, but GM lawyers asked the judge to throw out the suit because the suit is alleging a design flaw. GM’s stance is: “our warranty covers manufacturing defects; sure, the design is flawed, but we built it to spec, therefore the lawsuit should be dropped.“

True story: my mom picked me up from elementary school in our brand-new ‘84 Buick Regal. After driving 2 blocks the steering wheel fell off into her lap. She dropped it in neutral, gently braked, and the car rolled to a stop and bumped a stop sign. My dad was incensed and wrote a letter to GM. Never got a response. The dealer and GM refused to cover the cost of repairing the bumper. They just screwed the steering wheel back on and sent us on our way.

I’ve only owned two cars in my life: an Acura Integra and an Acura TSX, and I can honestly say I’ve never had any issues with them - ever. The TSX is still my daily driver after 14 years. So when I read these stories of leaking oil after 5 days of ownership, of bad lifters and bent push rods 3 months later, of flooded floorboards because the moon roof leaks … it does give me pause.

But dang It, I really want a Denali.

So yeah, fool me twice.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or we'd be hearing a lot more about this than a handful of people here and there with lifter failure.
Define "handful".... We have a family member that is a service adviser at a local GM dealership, and they have had up to 6 vehicles at a time in their "Bullpen" waiting on parts to fix this... Not everyone with the problem is on forums crabbing about it. He says there is a vehicle every week coming in with it.. PU trucks and Tahoe/Yukon's. And it isn't "Defined" to a certain build date. They've had them in on both sides of these dates, including 2022's. Also, you say the vast majority don't have this problem and I agree... but the key word is YET...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts