fog light mod..??HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grainwater1122

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 03 tahoe z71, with the round fog lights. i replaced the 880 bulbs with a hid kit and it melted the entire back of the fog light assembly..it was smoking and oozing everywhere. i had a mess. anyways, i see where some said they ran 35w bulbs in their fogs, how did you get them to not melt everything-whered you get them-how much- etc.
IMG00249-20110320-2200.jpg

l2yan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 03 tahoe z71, with the round fog lights. i replaced the 880 bulbs with a hid kit and it melted the entire back of the fog light assembly..it was smoking and oozing everywhere. i had a mess. anyways, i see where some said they ran 35w bulbs in their fogs, how did you get them to not melt everything-whered you get them-how much- etc.
View attachment 9205

I've never had problems and have 35w HIDs in fogs. How did you have yours connected? I use a relay for mine but I don't know if that would make a difference.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not clear on this.....I have an '05 Yukon XL with the rectangular fog lights....will DDM 35w HID bulbs fit without modifying the housing? Melting issues?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
View attachment 9205

That's messed up, man. Never seen one do that before. Makes me wonder if you had a short or something in there.

Venom: It seems to be the round fogs that have the issues. I now have mild scorch/melt marks right in the center of my lens, running 55w.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's messed up, man. Never seen one do that before. Makes me wonder if you had a short or something in there.

Venom: It seems to be the round fogs that have the issues. I now have mild scorch/melt marks right in the center of my lens, running 55w.

Cool. Will they fit though?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yes, just order the 880 HID's. They fit, but as has been mentioned they come really close to the lens. I'd love to find a good glass lens for these stupid lights. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just order the 880 HID's. They fit, but as has been mentioned they come really close to the lens. I'd love to find a good glass lens for these stupid lights. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog