My hefty lighting investment - worth it - Alpharex and Diode Dynamics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@intheburbs so almost a year later what is your impression now? Still worth the investment?

Short answer? Yes
Long answer: The SS3 fogs are amazing and stupid-bright.
The Alpharex are good, but the low-beam light pattern is a little too narrow for my taste. Maybe it's a government regulation thing, I don't know. High beams are great.

If I had to do it again, I might do some more research and look at other headlights. But I still might end up choosing the Alpharex.

On a scale of 1-10 - performance:
Alpharex lows: 8
Alpharex highs: 10
SS3 fogs: 15

So taken together as a package, I feel I got my money's worth.

If I'd just done the Alpharex alone, I'd probably feel like I overpaid. I'd say the Alpharex would be a good buy at $700-$800.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@intheburbs

Great review. Thx for sharing that feedback on both light setups.
Mostly positive feedback, save the $$ tag for the headlights. Narrow pattern probably good for suburban/city use, but still $$.

Thx man.

Last edited:

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer? Yes
Long answer: The SS3 fogs are amazing and stupid-bright.
The Alpharex are good, but the low-beam light pattern is a little too narrow for my taste. Maybe it's a government regulation thing, I don't know. High beams are great.

If I had to do it again, I might do some more research and look at other headlights. But I still might end up choosing the Alpharex.

On a scale of 1-10 - performance:
Alpharex lows: 8
Alpharex highs: 10
SS3 fogs: 15

So taken together as a package, I feel I got my money's worth.

If I'd just done the Alpharex alone, I'd probably feel like I overpaid. I'd say the Alpharex would be a good buy at $700-$800.
Nice thanks for your input. I was looking at the cheaper alpharex projector low halogen high set. I think they were around $400. Definitely going with the ss3s. Thanks for spending your money for the betterment of the Tahoe Yukon family lol.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I missed your Orig posting of the install on these. Nice! You’ve earned the respect of my retinas.

Did the lamps come as a complete bolt in assembly or did you have to graft them into the existing housings?

Color is amazing and yes, laser fine optics and cut off. Those are the kind of features that’ll save someone’s life with you getting an extra seconds jump on slowing down or swerving.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed your Orig posting of the install on these. Nice! You’ve earned the respect of my retinas.

Did the lamps come as a complete bolt in assembly or did you have to graft them into the existing housings?

Color is amazing and yes, laser fine optics and cut off. Those are the kind of features that’ll save someone’s life with you getting an extra seconds jump on slowing down or swerving.
The headlights were the complete housings. Plug-n-play replacements. They took a little messaging and patience to get them to seat properly with no gaps. As you saw in the pics, I didn't mess around - I did it the right way and ripped off the whole front end.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This Gen’s Yukon headlamps really stink. Even the aftermarket options with projector lamps don’t cut it unless you graft in hid bulbs.

You licked the weak link on that platform and gave it a 3x plus up for OEM looks, performance and safety. Enjoy the ride.

EA01FE86-ED5C-41EB-8E6E-FBB5EDEC4FBE.jpeg

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im finishing up a retrofit on stock headlights. I'll finish it eventually. Those look good tho compared to the cheaper pro ones they have.

calsdad

Reaction score
This Gen’s Yukon headlamps really stink. Even the aftermarket options with projector lamps don’t cut it unless you graft in hid bulbs.

You licked the weak link on that platform and gave it a 3x plus up for OEM looks, performance and safety. Enjoy the ride.

View attachment 417315

I have a 2010 Yukon XL 2500 - and I installed the Morimoto XB LED headlights into it a couple of years ago -and I think they were definitely worth the money. WAY more output than the factory lights, really good beam pattern, and they look good too.

I had installed the Morimoto projector LED foglights into the truck years ago, and while they are definitely better than the factory fogs (as I remember they were horrible), they're still not as good as the Diode Dynamics fogs that @intheburbs installed on his Suburban.

I've been looking at options for upgrading my fogs again. Just watched a video last night comparing a bunch of options and was thinking the Morimoto 4Banger LEDs were top of my list, but I'll have to take another look at those Diode Dynamics too.

Another upgrade that I thought was REALLY worth the money - was replacing the reverse light bulbs with a pair of LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics. I can't remember which ones they were - but those things are AWESOME compared to the originals. They're like headlights on the rear of the truck.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Subscribed as the Pineapple Express sounds like it’s going to break my windows with hail this very moment.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this... Found a deal online for the Alpharex - $877. I know nothing about the vendor. Seems to be a company out of Georgia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe