My hefty lighting investment - worth it - Alpharex and Diode Dynamics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a bunch of research on headlight and foglight options, and settled on the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I cried. A lot. o_O

Settled on the Alpharex NOVA series LED projector headlights. Click here

And went with the Diode Dynamics SS3 Max LED fog lights. Click here

I wanted quality lights, good cutoffs (too many people driving poor quality stuff and blinding people), and a ton of light. Yes, I just spent $1600 on lighting.

Install went easy (besides the usual GM asshattery of having to rip apart the entire front end) - headlights were plug and play, but they did take a little finagling to get tight gaps with the fenders. The foglights came with all the necessary adapters to make them plug and play as well, and you simply re-use the 6 button clips holding on the OEM fog housings.

One final mod will be adding the 6-light module, so the fogs stay on when the brights are activated.

First impressions....

Headlight cutoff is super-sharp. A buddy riding with me joked that I can use the cutoffs as an aiming reticle if I ever add James Bond-style machine guns up front. A little more narrow of a throw than I'd like. But super-smooth light distribution with zero hot or cold spots. I give them a 9/10, only because I'd like them a little wider of a beam.

Foglights are stupid-bright with a ridiculously-wide throw. You can't overstate how much they light up the periphery. This is great for me because we live in an area heavy with deer. I joke with a buddy that I'm going to start stenciling his Tundra because he's struck 14 deer. Just a ton of light, all where it needs to go. Now, my only complaint is the the foglights are manual - I have to turn them on every time I get in. The 6-hi mod will help somewhat. On a scale of 1-10, I give them a 15. Seriously.

On with some pics....

Before pic:
0aD8dyB.jpg

During pic:
wOYC2Td.jpg

After pic:
hQ0ZFtJ.jpg

Headlight cutoff
4nEqOVj.jpg

Closer
ldf0cRn.jpg

Fog cutoff
htuch5K.jpg

Closer
w5FEQF7.jpg

Headlights only (notice reflective barrier)
JpOHIyR.jpg

Fogs only
Tdv3f6Q.jpg

Headlights and fogs
2s40zt8.jpg

Lows and Highs, no fogs
6fUtcwv.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a bunch of research on headlight and foglight options, and settled on the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I cried. A lot. o_O

Settled on the Alpharex NOVA series LED projector headlights. Click here

And went with the Diode Dynamics SS3 Max LED fog lights. Click here

I wanted quality lights, good cutoffs (too many people driving poor quality stuff and blinding people), and a ton of light. Yes, I just spent $1600 on lighting.

Install went easy (besides the usual GM asshattery of having to rip apart the entire front end) - headlights were plug and play, but they did take a little finagling to get tight gaps with the fenders. The foglights came with all the necessary adapters to make them plug and play as well, and you simply re-use the 6 button clips holding on the OEM fog housings.

One final mod will be adding the 6-light module, so the fogs stay on when the brights are activated.

First impressions....

Headlight cutoff is super-sharp. A buddy riding with me joked that I can use the cutoffs as an aiming reticle if I ever add James Bond-style machine guns up front. A little more narrow of a throw than I'd like. But super-smooth light distribution with zero hot or cold spots. I give them a 9/10, only because I'd like them a little wider of a beam.

Foglights are stupid-bright with a ridiculously-wide throw. You can't overstate how much they light up the periphery. This is great for me because we live in an area heavy with deer. I joke with a buddy that I'm going to start stenciling his Tundra because he's struck 14 deer. Just a ton of light, all where it needs to go. Now, my only complaint is the the foglights are manual - I have to turn them on every time I get in. The 6-hi mod will help somewhat. On a scale of 1-10, I give them a 15. Seriously.

On with some pics....

Before pic:
View attachment 392771

During pic:
View attachment 392772

After pic:
View attachment 392773

Headlight cutoff
View attachment 392774

Closer
View attachment 392775

Fog cutoff
View attachment 392776

Closer
View attachment 392777

Headlights only (notice reflective barrier)
View attachment 392778

Fogs only
View attachment 392779

Headlights and fogs
View attachment 392780

Lows and Highs, no fogs
View attachment 392781
As I scrolled through your pictures I kept expecting the barrier to burst into flames. They look great!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much light output! That’s awesome! I really like those alpahrex headlights. Wish they made those but for my 2006 because they look so sharp! Definitely worth the price tag!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Dang man they’re bright! I just replaced my fog lights where a bulb went out but after reading this I’m kinda regretting not spending some more to get the morimoto projector fogs or a set of the diode dynamics fogs like you got.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'll definitely get you down the road, that is an extreme amount of output.
Those Diodes WOW, the amount of light they are throwing is impressive. And I like how they mount in the factory location with no mods.
I think I might have to look into them.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last mod - got the Fleece All Lights On module. Fogs stay on with the hi-beams, or if off are turned on with hi-beams...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230304_155825_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230304_155825_Gallery.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 23

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks nice.. I'll have to check this all lights on module. I put diodes in line with my bi-led so they come on in high when the brights are on. but like you said I gotta manually turn the fogs on every time I start the truck. it's only one button but be nice not to have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT