First Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new 2021 Tahoe, 5.3 L 4x4 and I'm looking for some practical wisdom on when to perform my first oil change on a new engine. I've heard opinions from 500 miles to 1000 hours on the engine. What is the optimal mileage to make sure any residual metal is removed?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new 2021 Tahoe, 5.3 L 4x4 and I'm looking for some practical wisdom on when to perform my first oil change on a new engine. I've heard opinions from 500 miles to 1000 hours on the engine. What is the optimal mileage to make sure any residual metal is removed?

Anywhere in that range is fine. Everyone drives differently so I can’t say what’s optimal. I can say from experience anywhere in that range you’ll get plenty of glitter out of the first oil change.

On the other extreme some people won’t change it until the oil life monitor goes off and GM warranty is ok with that so... no huge harm is likely being done. But I’ll still never do it that way.

Presumably “1000 hours” you intended “miles”.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, you certainly don't want to go 1000 hours between oil changes! We used to change the oil in our boat's diesel engine every 200 hours. 175 hours is about the average for my truck changing the oil every 5,000 miles. This correlates to about 33% of oil life left on the DIC. To each his own.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help you with the GM truck. I know that for my Hondas, they put a special additive in the motor on the first oil fill, and they don't want you to change the oil until the factory specified time. I caught a lot of flack from my Honda dealer techs, when I made my first oil change at 2000 miles.

killjoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just hit 500 miles in my '21 AT4 and I'll be changing the oil this weekend. With COVID, it's taken me 3 months to get 500 miles (WFH now), so I'm not waiting for the DIC or some other signal. Mobil 1 oil & filter doesn't cost that much.

I believe the dealer said that my first couple oil changes are free at the dealer, but they'd probably push back w/ only 500 miles on it. Window sticker reminder says next oil change due at 5000 miles or DIC < 20%.

Ajmalian

Reaction score
Hello to all from Dubai, U.A.E. I’m surprised to see the numbers and facts stated above. Here in the Middle East, GM Arabia manages all rules and policies about service and warranty and all such nitty gritty but the directives come from GM USA.
We here are advised to service every 6250 miles. This includes first oil change. Also, all across GCC (Thats’s UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman) we get manufacturer’s warranty AND service inclusive for 5 years or 62,500 miles whichever comes first. I was so happy because this is a first for GMC/Chevy/Caddilac in this region.
What is the warranty and service like in the USA from GM??

OP
OP
Red2021RST

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anywhere in that range is fine. Everyone drives differently so I can’t say what’s optimal. I can say from experience anywhere in that range you’ll get plenty of glitter out of the first oil change.

On the other extreme some people won’t change it until the oil life monitor goes off and GM warranty is ok with that so... no huge harm is likely being done. But I’ll still never do it that way.

Presumably “1000 hours” you intended “miles”.
Actually I was told 1000 hours. But I like your advice between 500 and 1000 miles. Thanks

OP
OP
Red2021RST

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, you certainly don't want to go 1000 hours between oil changes! We used to change the oil in our boat's diesel engine every 200 hours. 175 hours is about the average for my truck changing the oil every 5,000 miles. This correlates to about 33% of oil life left on the DIC. To each his own.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
Red2021RST

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to all from Dubai, U.A.E. I’m surprised to see the numbers and facts stated above. Here in the Middle East, GM Arabia manages all rules and policies about service and warranty and all such nitty gritty but the directives come from GM USA.
We here are advised to service every 6250 miles. This includes first oil change. Also, all across GCC (Thats’s UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman) we get manufacturer’s warranty AND service inclusive for 5 years or 62,500 miles whichever comes first. I was so happy because this is a first for GMC/Chevy/Caddilac in this region.
What is the warranty and service like in the USA from GM??
The USA oil service as stated in the owners manual is 3000 miles. The warranty stated in the Tahoe brochure is 3 yr/36K mile bumper to bumper, 6yr /100K Rust-Through Protection, 5yr 60K Powertrain, 5 yr/ 100K Diesel Limited, 5 yr/ road side assistance.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always change mine at 3000 miles. I had my 2021 changed around 1000 because the dipstick showed an overfill situation. I was worried about fuel in the oil so I pulled a sample and sent it into Blackstone Labs. All was normal and I will change the oil again around 4000 miles. I had a GMC Terrain that had 8 quarts of oil come out of it when I did my first oil change. Needless to say I had major fuel contamination from a bad seal on the HP fuel pump. That engine O]only called for 4.3 quarts so I am a little paranoid now :) LOL

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the first oil change at 731 miles (went over the 500 miles I wanted to get it done at). Next one will be at 5,000 miles, and then every 5,000 miles after. Houston heat, the way I drive ... I feel better with the short oil change intervals. Also using Mobil 1 Extended Performance with Wix filter.