First Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The USA oil service as stated in the owners manual is 3000 miles. The warranty stated in the Tahoe brochure is 3 yr/36K mile bumper to bumper, 6yr /100K Rust-Through Protection, 5yr 60K Powertrain, 5 yr/ 100K Diesel Limited, 5 yr/ road side assistance.

Am I missing something here? My manual, and the one online says 7,500 miles for severe use. Not trying to be argumentative, but just curious as to what is correct ...

RoIIpmh.png

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I encountered a similar issue when I bought my Yukon. My "old school" mindset and engine break in, wear in, seating rings, (all the old stuff from my motor building days) was still present and when I called my dealer (like you, my dealer included the first 3 services), he told me they wouldn't change the oil until the gauge read <30%. I was still at 80% and had racked up about 500 miles (maybe). I had to wait about a year and all of the research I could find (opinions vary) said the newer synthetic oils didn't need the same oil change the older ones did. Whether it's BS, or sales tactics, I believed them and figured if they weren't pushing to do services, (which is a revenue stream) they were probably on the level. I wasn't able to get my 3 free oil changes, (it was limited to the first 24 months of ownership) and as I don't put many miles on my truck anymore, I got 1 free one. The mechanics reiterated the synthetic oils don't break down like the older stuff used to and GM recommends 5 K to 7.5 K miles between oil changes. Hours/Time on the motor may differ, but I have pulled my dipstick out a number of times (no pun intended) and verified the oil levels, condition (no glitter or dirt) often and it seems to be holding true.
Like any one of us brought up with the deeply ingrained care for our beloved vehicles, I get the oil changed about once a year, usually when I go to the dealer for a check up or service. It's been about a year since my last oil change, the oil panel still reads 75% +/-, but I'll have them change it next time I bring it in, I put about 3 K miles a year on it. If you're demanding more (high heat, hills, lead footed, etc.) change it when you want. 5000 miles (or hours) seems like a reasonable amount, so it's your rig- and in theory, changing the oil more frequently than others, won't hurt.
I will add (and this may an obvious one) change that cabin air filter about as often too- Just my opinion.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always done my first oil change on a new GM truck or engine build after 2,000 miles.

Now there are countless thoughts and opinions on this. It's up to you. I've never had engine failure with this process so, take that with a grain of salt and shot of tequila.

Cheers!

Lt Belspur

Reaction score

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm over 11k miles on the odometer and change it every 5k miles. Dealer is using synthetic oil and I believe GM requires changes at least every 7500 miles. Changing every 5k miles may be overkill with synthetic oil, but as Scotty Kilmer always says, "oil is cheap, engines are not."

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
From the little i understand about the subject, much of those numbers comes from the EPA.

if it were me; for the first oil change, i would do a low mile number (500 or so).
or at a minimum, change that oil filter after 500 miles and top off the oil.

I'm building a brand new engine for my tahoe, and i already have a plan.
Including way over paying for the engine oil for the first few cycles... :rolleyes:

to each his own. :) :burnout:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? My manual, and the one online says 7,500 miles for severe use.

Yeah, experience! Most of us know that engines like clean oil and last longer with clean oil. Most of us know that old, dirty oil is the Active Fuel Management System's worst enemy.

Most synthetics today are not what they were 12 years ago, they are now nearly all Group III bases and no longer Group IV. When Mobil One was a Group IV back in the 1980s and 1990s, you could literally drain the oil out of the engine and go drag racing with it and experience no damage. Don't ask me how I know! ;) Try that today and you won't even get the motor up to temp before it seizes up.

OP
OP
Red2021RST

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the discussion on this topic. So, I decided to take the conservative approach and schedule my 1st oil change at 1000 miles at a nearby GMC dealership and service adviser I used for years. I called my trusted adviser to schedule the oil change, but to my surprise he said “You’re kidding me, right? There is no reason to get the oil changed that early.” I asked about metal shiners from the machining process and the initial wear in process. He said that was the prevailing common wisdom from years past. We did schedule a quick wellness check. As it turned out the Tahoe checked out OK.

The behavior at this dealership supported WTSHARK’s comment above on not pushing unnecessary work which impacted (although small $) revenue and I too thought the adviser was on the level.

I was so surprised on the “new mileage standard for the first oil change” I had to do additional research and searched the internet on this topic and found the following at: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...-change-at-1000-miles-or-when-the-manual-says.

One explanation there made sense to me.

” The 1000 mile oil change is a holdover from days of yore. It falls into the "my grandfather /father (add appropriate generation) said you should always"... Add whatever urban myth was part of the lesson. Part of the reasoning was due to the Moly-Lube that was part of the engine assembly process. The theory was that the assembly lube was thick enough to clog the oil filter as the hot oil washed it off the bearing surfaces. So, after 1000 miles the filter would cease to filter the oil. The improved assembly process and improved chemistry have made this no longer necessary. If it was a concern, the dealer would require it since they warranty the engine for 60,000 or up to 100,000 miles.”

This was a definite learning process.

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
If it was a concern, the dealer would require it since they warranty the engine for 60,000 or up to 100,000 miles.”

Exactly... GM is not going to do anything that risks increasing failures of drivetrain parts... that's a losing proposition for them and you can bet if an early oil change made a difference, they'd require it.

Norm 427

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I remember buying a new Chevy in 1975 ... that was the first year of zero lead in the gas and catalytic converters. The recommended oil changes went from 3k miles (I think) in 1974 to a stunning 7500 miles in the 1975 models. I remember being in shock.

Gas free of lead, advances in oil and the accuracy of machining engine parts has dramatically altered oil changes. My dad changed oil every 1k miles in the 50s and 60s.

A little levity: Does the sump have oil? That's good. No oil in the sump? That's bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076