Factory amp and aftermarket sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
My 2002 Yukon XL still has the stock AM/FM CD radio with remote cassette deck. I plan on upgrading the radio to a double DIN unit to get some modern features. I also plan on replacing the speakers. My question concerns using the stock amp with an aftermarket sub. If you've retained the factory amp, but repalced the sub, did the new sub sound better than the factory one or didn't you notice much difference?

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2002 Yukon XL still has the stock AM/FM CD radio with remote cassette deck. I plan on upgrading the radio to a double DIN unit to get some modern features. I also plan on replacing the speakers. My question concerns using the stock amp with an aftermarket sub. If you've retained the factory amp, but repalced the sub, did the new sub sound better than the factory one or didn't you notice much difference?

The look on kids faces when they enter...."whats that door for on the radio, iphone holder?".

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my recommendation is 2 amps
1 amp for your door speakers, 1 for the sub/s
the factory amp is not going to put out much and will sound terrible if the new speakers do not match the impedance of the originals
a $20 junk china amp will sound better than the stock sub amp
I am not saying buy a $20 amp I am saying buy a couple $400-500 brand name amp's and be happy there are tons of them out there and will provide plenty of power for the average person.
if you are poor like me just buy one thing at a time

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses, but I have no desire to run new speaker wire or wire up two amps. I really just wanted to know if changing the sub speaker using the factory amp and an aftermarket head unit would improve the bass response or if it would be a waste of money and I should just leave the 20 year old sub in there. I realize that isn't the optimal solution. Thanks.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
After doing some more reading on what the factory amp does, I think I'm going to go with this guy's writeup so I can maintain the factory amp for the sub and the rear pillar speakers. The radio I'm installing is 22 watts RMS 50 peak which should be plenty for my old man ears.
Factory High Pass Crossover Bypass

Kyles_House

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jeff,

I did some work on my 2001. I bought the $25 repair kit and fixed the stock subwoofer. It actually sounded quite decent, better than my stock console woofer in my '04 denali.
I built a custom wire harness for head unit and amplifier.
Retains amplifier for Subwoofer and rear tweeters (and maybe rear door speakers, i need to check, indont remember). And the head unit powers the front speakers and rear doors(?)
Setup worked great.
I have everything packed up in garage.
I would sell to you cheap if interested?
Everything you would need, I think the only wire you need to solder/connect is amp signal wire, and maybe power and ground.

Kyle

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beware of buying things from random people.
1. They do not have enough post to list it classified.
2 if you decide to do it anyway, use PayPal and have them send you a legit paypal invoice from.paypal that way you are covered, if you pay someone without a legit invoice from PayPal then kiss your money goodbye. Don't be foolish

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Jeff,

I did some work on my 2001. I bought the $25 repair kit and fixed the stock subwoofer. It actually sounded quite decent, better than my stock console woofer in my '04 denali.
I built a custom wire harness for head unit and amplifier.
Retains amplifier for Subwoofer and rear tweeters (and maybe rear door speakers, i need to check, indont remember). And the head unit powers the front speakers and rear doors(?)
Setup worked great.
I have everything packed up in garage.
I would sell to you cheap if interested?
Everything you would need, I think the only wire you need to solder/connect is amp signal wire, and maybe power and ground.

Kyle
I appreciate the offer, but I've already purchased the necessary connectors and made my own harness.

Kyles_House

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right on. If you are interested in repairing the subwoofer, this is the kit I used. https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Repair-Suburban-Panasonic-EASA20PL03A1/dp/B00EOWAM3A
Or, I just installed an aftermarket Kicker. You will need to trim box just slightly.. But not sure how stock amp will handle it. Model # Kicker 48CWRT84
(also, I see post above, not trying to rip anyone off haha. Not really about the money, just want to help a fellow suburban enthusiast out, I will just list on ebay or something..)
Good luck with install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos