Factory amp and aftermarket sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyles_House

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh also was going to mention, I don't think a double din is going to fit, unless you to a junkyard and get a dash bezel from like 2003 and up. The 2001 and 2002 have like a 1.5 din. (siily if you ask me)
Cheers.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Oh also was going to mention, I don't think a double din is going to fit, unless you to a junkyard and get a dash bezel from like 2003 and up. The 2001 and 2002 have like a 1.5 din. (siily if you ask me)
Cheers.
I got an aftermarket bezel that is made specifically to install a double din in the 1.5 din GM dashes.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
OK, I wired up the head unit (I got the optional harness with the connector to turn on the amp, which is connected to the blue ant/amp wire from the radio. I don't get any sound. I checked the amp fuse under the hood and it seemed OK. Even so, I tried another fuse in it, just in case and it still doesn't work. I noticed that the factory radio sounded very weak/tinny. Is it possible that my factory amp is blown? If so, why would I get sound from the factory radio and none from the aftermarket one? Another question would be is the amp turn on wire always the pink one or could it be one of the other wires in the secondary factory harness?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
OK, I wired up the head unit (I got the optional harness with the connector to turn on the amp, which is connected to the blue ant/amp wire from the radio. I don't get any sound. I checked the amp fuse under the hood and it seemed OK. Even so, I tried another fuse in it, just in case and it still doesn't work. I noticed that the factory radio sounded very weak/tinny. Is it possible that my factory amp is blown? If so, why would I get sound from the factory radio and none from the aftermarket one? Another question would be is the amp turn on wire always the pink one or could it be one of the other wires in the secondary factory harness?
OK, I'm a big dummy. I assumed that Metra knew what they were doing, so I wired the blue/white stripe wire into the smaller, secondary adapter on the Metra harness. After further investigation, I realized that it actually plugged into the remote cassette deck and that the amp turn-on wire was really on the main harness. Once I wired into the proper location, the amp now turns on. One thing I noticed with the factory and the aftermarket head unit is that I have what I'd call weak speaker channels. The passenger side speaker is noticeably not as loud as the driver's side speaker, with balance set in the middle. The same with the driver's side rear speaker not being as loud as the passenger side rear. I guess I'll see if I get the same results once I install the new speakers. It's not that big of a deal if it's the amp, since I'll be using the bypass harness I made to bypass the amp for the front and rear door speakers and only running the D pillar speakers and subwoofer off of it. I definitely noticed the sub more with the aftermarket unit plugged in over the factory unit.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Boss Audio head unit took a little tweaking to get the best out of it...

For BT playback, you have to make sure BT volume on the phone (or playback source) is at max.
There were also "source volume" settings for each kind of audio source (BT/Call Volume/Nav, etc.) in the head unit's settings/audio menu... I had to bump the streaming source volume up a bit. Max. is too much and starts getting distorted if too high. I fiddled and increased a little at a time until I got to a sweet spot where it sounded good to me and still clear.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on. If you are interested in repairing the subwoofer, this is the kit I used. https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Repair-Suburban-Panasonic-EASA20PL03A1/dp/B00EOWAM3A
Or, I just installed an aftermarket Kicker. You will need to trim box just slightly.. But not sure how stock amp will handle it. Model # Kicker 48CWRT84
(also, I see post above, not trying to rip anyone off haha. Not really about the money, just want to help a fellow suburban enthusiast out, I will just list on ebay or something..)
Good luck with install.
didn't mean that you were but....others have and/or have tried in the past, there are rules set by higher up's to help prevent such things to be associated with the site.
if you chose to offer your kit for sale on here there is a classified section to sell on at no cost. you just have to have a minimum amount of (legit) post's I think it is 80 or 180 I don't recall it's probably posted somewhere. Wasn't trying to pick you out of the crowd and nothing personal and I apologize if it seemed that way. The typical approach we see is a new person comes along with a couple post's and then starts saying they have "this" or "that" for sale and paypal/cashapp/venmo me and i will ship it today, yada yada

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
My Boss Audio head unit took a little tweaking to get the best out of it...

For BT playback, you have to make sure BT volume on the phone (or playback source) is at max.
There were also "source volume" settings for each kind of audio source (BT/Call Volume/Nav, etc.) in the head unit's settings/audio menu... I had to bump the streaming source volume up a bit. Max. is too much and starts getting distorted if too high. I fiddled and increased a little at a time until I got to a sweet spot where it sounded good to me and still clear.
Mine is more like an imbalance in individual speakers as opposed to increased/decreased volume across the board. The right front isn't as loud as the left front (I just tested it using a radio station) which is how it was with the factory radio, also. So, I'm guessing it's either the speakers are bad or the amp is bad. Once I put the new speakers in, that should tell me. BTW, if I needed to replace the factory amp (I'd likely stick with factory to avoid extra wiring) how much of a PITA is it to remove?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is more like an imbalance in individual speakers as opposed to increased/decreased volume across the board. The right front isn't as loud as the left front (I just tested it using a radio station) which is how it was with the factory radio, also. So, I'm guessing it's either the speakers are bad or the amp is bad. Once I put the new speakers in, that should tell me. BTW, if I needed to replace the factory amp (I'd likely stick with factory to avoid extra wiring) how much of a PITA is it to remove?
Just a few screws/bolts and you should be able to get the console out of the way. I have not done that, but from what I have seen it does not look like major surgery to get to the space where the factory sub is located.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Just a few screws/bolts and you should be able to get the console out of the way. I have not done that, but from what I have seen it does not look like major surgery to get to the space where the factory sub is located.
Actually, on the 00-02 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, the amp is behind the glove box. I believe there's a clip at the top that you have to release to loosen it up, but it looks like it could be a pain to actually get it out, which was my reason for asking, just in case I do need to remove it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, on the 00-02 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, the amp is behind the glove box. I believe there's a clip at the top that you have to release to loosen it up, but it looks like it could be a pain to actually get it out, which was my reason for asking, just in case I do need to remove it.
OK. I was not aware they stuffed it under the dash. They did some weird stuff on the early years...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne