Factory 3rd Brakelight Upgrade? Hmmm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadowz Edge

Reaction score
During my excursion to the salvage yard I noticed 2 different 3rd brake lights. 1 from an OBS Tahoe and the other from an OBS Burb.

They both mount the same and have the same connector for the electrical. There IS difference though that I spotted and just had to grab them both to compare.

The top one is from the Tahoe and the bottom one is from the Burb. The difference in the 2 is the Tahoe 3rd brake light has 30 LEDs spaced slighty apart whereas the Burb version has 40 LEDs and are closer together.

Later on when it gets darker I'll swap between both of them with pictures to give a difference between the 2 hopefully. (They did come from a salvage yard of course)

20180726_102254.jpg 20180726_111007.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
During my excursion to the salvage yard I noticed 2 different 3rd brake lights. 1 from an OBS Tahoe and the other from an OBS Burb.

They both mount the same and have the same connector for the electrical. There IS difference though that I spotted and just had to grab them both to compare.

The top one is from the Tahoe and the bottom one is from the Burb. The difference in the 2 is the Tahoe 3rd brake light has 30 LEDs spaced slighty apart whereas the Burb version has 40 LEDs and are closer together.

Later on when it gets darker I'll swap between both of them with pictures to give a difference between the 2 hopefully. (They did come from a salvage yard of course)

View attachment 204099 View attachment 204100
Weird

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice observation, wonder why the difference though.......hmmmm

OP
OP
Shadowz Edge

Shadowz Edge

Reaction score
Nice observation, wonder why the difference though.......hmmmm

Thank you. Perhaps since the version that had more of the LEDs came off a Burb that GM thought that since more money was spent to buy the vehicle that they might as well throw in some hidden upgrades. Who knows.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank you. Perhaps since the version that had more of the LEDs came off a Burb that GM thought that since more money was spent to buy the vehicle that they might as well throw in some hidden upgrades. Who knows.
Or one is maybe a few yrs newer then the other one. You know how GM does weird stuff sometimes.

OP
OP
Shadowz Edge

Shadowz Edge

Reaction score
Or one is maybe a few yrs newer then the other one. You know how GM does weird stuff sometimes.

Entirely possible. My 99 OBS 4dr Tahoe currently had the 30 LED style since I picked it up not long ago.

Maybe they started out with 40 and then the bean counters complained about the cost and they lowered it to the 30 currently on my ride.

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 204099 View attachment 204100
1996 Yukon has 40 bulbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24