Extending Battery Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extending Battery Life

The battery in my truck was showing its age. Now it had never let us down, always started, but the State of Charge (SOC) was dropping week after week. The ACDelco 48PS battery was manufactured in August of 2016 and installed in our 2009 GMC Yukon XL in December of that year. About a year later occasional monitoring of the SOC began and it was always in the 70th percentile range.

In the last months of 2019 the truck would sit for a few days or a week or more but when driven, was on the road for at least several hours on the highway. Despite this, the SOC continued to fall, into the 60s, then 50s, and on a cold January morning was in the 30s. The truck still fired up, but the battery was now over 3 years old and not holding a charge for long anymore. So then began my quest to decide on a replacement battery and while doing so came across a post about a fellow using a battery tender to rejuvenate his battery and extend its life. Spend $150 on a new battery or $50 on this to kick the can down the road another year or so? I can always use it on our other car batteries or sell it, so I bought one.

Allow me introduce you to the BatteryMINDer Model 1510:

upload_2020-2-25_16-8-9.png

It is a battery charger, maintainer and desulfator. This last word is what restored the 48PS to like new condition after just a few weeks of intermittent use. There’s a cable with two ring terminals that connect to the battery and stay with the truck under the hood. When I want to put her on the tender, I run an extension cord under the hood and in the spare battery well, connect the BatteryMINDer to that and the ring terminal and close the hood. It works like a smart charger for RC batteries and removes the lead sulfate crystals from the plates which restores the battery’s ability to store and hold energy. As of this writing, the truck has been sitting for about week and not on the tender and the SOC is still 75%, back to normal.

So if your truck sits a lot or its battery is getting a little long in its tooth, consider the BatteryMINDer Plus.

https://www.batteryminders.com/1510-12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-with-warranty

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDe...?keywords=batteryminder&qid=1582664417&sr=8-3

- J. A. Burns, February 2020

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this for real? Do they make a solar powered one I can put on my boat? I have no electricity where I park it. :(

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done Sir got a little Audi and a bike and boat that see seasonal use I have a battery tender but it doesn’t do this. Did you check the SOC with your Tech2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny