Extending Battery Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this for real? Do they make a solar powered one I can put on my boat? I have no electricity where I park it. :(

There's also this from Pulsetech:
https://www.pulsetech.net/store/solar-battery-chargers/12v-solar-chargers.html

Because the Pulsetech maintainer/charger restored a couple of my batteries, I got one of these:
https://www.pulsetech.net/store/bat...pulse-12-volt-battery-maintenance-system.html

The jury is still out on this. My dashcam monitors motion when parked so there is an additional drain from that.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done Sir got a little Audi and a bike and boat that see seasonal use I have a battery tender but it doesn’t do this. Did you check the SOC with your Tech2?

Yes, that's how I'm able to monitor the battery, with the Tech-2. If you buy the adapters, that thing can charge/maintain 4 batteries at once according to the literature.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is relevant to my interests. Added to Amazon cart.

Thank you!

Is there a way to determine SOC or that a Tech2 feature only?

Well, whatever device that has the ability to read information in the Body Control Module, like the VXDIAG NANO or a Snap-On bi-directional scan tool for example.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using ones from Optimate for years on my Harleys and now on my bagged CC that sits most of the time. I just fired up my Harley last night that hadn’t been started in a year and it fired up like I parked it yesterday.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using ones from Optimate for years on my Harleys and now on my bagged CC that sits most of the time. I just fired up my Harley last night that hadn’t been started in a year and it fired up like I parked it yesterday.

To compare apples to apples, is it only the Optimate3 or higher models that desulfates? They don't mention much about it. They all mention that they "save" the battery but "desulfate" is only mentioned at the Optimate3 level.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To compare apples to apples, is it only the Optimate3 or higher models that desulfates? They don't mention much about it. They all mention that they "save" the battery but "desulfate" is only mentioned at the Optimate3 level.
That’s what I understand. Only the 3 and up have the “save” ability ie desulphate. It has 7 steps altogether. Those are what I have.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what I understand. Only the 3 and up have the “save” ability ie desulphate. It has 7 steps altogether. Those are what I have.

Thanks for confirming.

It's comparably priced and featured as the MINDer that @swathdiver has. But, the MINDer is 1.5A (at least that's what they claim), so the hot rodder in me says it could be a little better. I imagine that twice the amperage would more easily dissolve heavier sulfation, if there's any to dissolve. My battery is a little less than three years old and I've been pretty ******* it over the last 1.5+ years with how I let it sit for 1-2 weeks at a time, then crank the engine for 10-20 seconds before starting it. I'm sure it has suffered some level of degradation!

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While my experience isn't quite the same I thought I would share for those that are curious.

I purchased my 2000 TA in summer of '04 and the next year installed an Optima yellow top battery (July 2005)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...battery-group-size-34-750-cca-d34/16080025-p?

Also added a Battery Tender. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU

I use the car a few times a year. It sits in the garage on the tender most of the time. Garage is not climate controlled even though its attached to the house, so temps go from cold to hot and back throughout the seasons. Optima batteries claim their products typical lifespan is 4~8 years depending upon use.

That battery I purchased in 2005 is still in the car and starts right up every time I use the car, even after months and months of neglect.

I can't speak to the product the OP purchased but if "Battery Tender" brand is more expensive than the OP's, purchase then I can attest that is worth every cent extra I spent on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan