Ethanol percentage flex fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the virtual ethanol sensor settled at 17% again, on gas I know for a fact was 5% Ethanol. At a minimum, I know it is not getting the calculation right. What is causing it is still a little up in the air.

My guess now is maybe something that the sensor logic uses is not performing properly, next step is to try and determine if the evap system has a problem. Additionally, I am starting to get the feeling that maybe these things are not all that accurate in the first place and when anything is even a little off, the errors can get quite large.

Along with looking at the evap system, I am going to do a few more tests, going back to 0% ethanol at my next fill up, resetting the percentage and then on the subsequent fill up, again use 0% and make sure it stays at the 3% baseline the Tech 2 reset it to.

I am going to try really hard to not let this thing bug me, if I can’t fix it. It isn’t all that much work to verify the Ethanol content and if low enough, reset it with the Tech 2.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the virtual ethanol sensor settled at 17% again, on gas I know for a fact was 5% Ethanol. At a minimum, I know it is not getting the calculation right. What is causing it is still a little up in the air.

My guess now is maybe something that the sensor logic uses is not performing properly, next step is to try and determine if the evap system has a problem. Additionally, I am starting to get the feeling that maybe these things are not all that accurate in the first place and when anything is even a little off, the errors can get quite large.

Along with looking at the evap system, I am going to do a few more tests, going back to 0% ethanol at my next fill up, resetting the percentage and then on the subsequent fill up, again use 0% and make sure it stays at the 3% baseline the Tech 2 reset it to.

I am going to try really hard to not let this thing bug me, if I can’t fix it. It isn’t all that much work to verify the Ethanol content and if low enough, reset it with the Tech 2.

SOP at the dealer is to drain and clean out the fuel tank before refilling with E10. How long did you let it decide to settle at 17%?

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOP at the dealer is to drain and clean out the fuel tank before refilling with E10. How long did you let it decide to settle at 17%?

It actually decides. It just quits moving around and flat lines on the number it likes, after its routine is done. I drove maybe 25 miles total, but it quit moving around after maybe half that. That was my error after resetting it with the Tech 2 after the 0% fill, it stayed at 3% and never moved because I never refilled it. I think the true test is to do that, then refill with 0% again and see if it stays at the reset 3% level.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually decides. It just quits moving around and flat lines on the number it likes, after its routine is done. I drove maybe 25 miles total, but it quit moving around after maybe half that. That was my error after resetting it with the Tech 2 after the 0% fill, it stayed at 3% and never moved because I never refilled it. I think the true test is to do that, then refill with 0% again and see if it stays at the reset 3% level.

What I'm getting at is that it sometimes re-computes even days later. When you do the reset, you do not have to use E0, E10 is ok.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
What I'm getting at is that it sometimes re-computes even days later. When you do the reset, you do not have to use E0, E10 is ok.

It's funny that you mention this recalculating days later. I was beginning to think I was crazy.

My wife filled up with 89 octane (E10) the other day and after driving it for a while, plenty long enough for it to calculate the E%, I checked it and it said 3%. A couple days later I checked the same tank of fuel again and it said 17%.

I thought that once it detected a refueling event that it recalculated the E% after, approximately, 7 miles and that was it until you refueled with at least 3 gallons of fuel or more.

I have watched this with the Tech 2 and after fueling it will show that the Ethanol content relearn is enabled but only for a few miles.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So far, about 60 miles and three starts and it is the same exact number. I leave the dongle in and watch it every trip (as I did with the 0% tankful). When I reset it, when I had fuel with 0%, it stayed at 3% for the whole tank. What I didn't (don't) know is if I refilled it with 0% again, if it would stay at 3% after it recalculated or jump higher.

If I use the Costco E10, which right now is measuring 5% (with the bottle and water method), it will jump up, right now it is saying 17%, but have seen it as high as 38% (using the same Costco E10.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, about 60 miles and three starts and it is the same exact number. I leave the dongle in and watch it every trip (as I did with the 0% tankful). When I reset it, when I had fuel with 0%, it stayed at 3% for the whole tank. What I didn't (don't) know is if I refilled it with 0% again, if it would stay at 3% after it recalculated or jump higher.

If I use the Costco E10, which right now is measuring 5% (with the bottle and water method), it will jump up, right now it is saying 17%, but have seen it as high as 38% (using the same Costco E10.

Ok. Yeah, it goes all over the place right after refueling. Have you seen your LTFTs as you pull away from the pumps? Freaked me out for a moment until I remembered what was going on! LOL

It's a pretty neat system but all that time figuring out the alcohol content seems to me a waste of fuel. I know it's trying to maximize efficiency but if there was a real alcohol sensor it would be spot on after a mile or so. An alcohol sensor is at the end of my "To Do List" along with an air density meter.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Yeah, it goes all over the place right after refueling. Have you seen your LTFTs as you pull away from the pumps? Freaked me out for a moment until I remembered what was going on! LOL

It's a pretty neat system but all that time figuring out the alcohol content seems to me a waste of fuel. I know it's trying to maximize efficiency but if there was a real alcohol sensor it would be spot on after a mile or so. An alcohol sensor is at the end of my "To Do List" along with an air density meter.

I haven't had the LTFT up on the graph at the same time. It is very easy to do and will give it a try.

I have to be a little careful adding things to the live data chart, when I am driving, things get pretty busy (and pretty distracted). When I am driving along with my readers, trying to read the chart, not good. :)

My problem with my "virtual sensor" is when it makes a really big calculation error (like when it thinks it is 38%, when the actual E content is say 5%), when warming up, things get really rich. Once it drops into closed loop, things seem to clean up pretty quickly, the garage takes a while to air out. ;)

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Just wanted to update.

Installed new upstream O2 sensors on the Burb and reset the Ethanol percentage with the Tech2. Drove down an topped off with 89 octane advertised as (10% E).

Immediately got on the interstate and set the CC at 75 and drove 40+ miles.

During this time the E % bounced all over, from 3% up to 18.5% and finally settled at 3.1% and staying there for the remainder of the trip.

Next day I checked the E % and it was back up to 13.7%.

At this point I think the truck recalculates the E % after every cold start or something... I don't know what the heck is going on with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo