Ethanol percentage flex fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikePPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not to jump in on a discussion, but if you have a Gen IV PCM the best way to have fast accurate changes in ethanol content is to change from a virtual sensor to a physical sensor. The sensor mounts up by the rail so there is never a doubt what is going into the injector. It’s one PCM pin and a coil pack jump over harness. I think the kit from DSX is like $350. If your boosted, it’s a crucial piece of data.

Edit: you need HP Tuners (or a tuner) to switch the method of measurement. Might be able to do it with TDS, but I never tried.

Last edited:

YukonDoit2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, both for the Input.T
I wouldn’t expect any need to recalibrate anything to run a flex fuel vehicle on E85.

To just monitor things, read engine codes, etc. I bought a cheapie ELM427 ODBII dongle that plugs into my ODB port and uses my iPhone with a free app that also uses ELM 427. There are many for sale on Amazon. Just heed the reviews and make sure it clearly states it works with IOS or Android depending on what phone you have. I bought the Viecar Bluetooth one and it works well with the Car Scanner iPhone app.

Good luck.

Thank you for the input. Regarding the Viecar device, do I need to pay for a 'pro' version in order to get all the functions? I am doing my research now before buying one...

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, both for the Input.T

Thank you for the input. Regarding the Viecar device, do I need to pay for a 'pro' version in order to get all the functions? I am doing my research now before buying one...

You don't need to pay for the pro version of the SW, the free version works fine, it just limits how many things you can look at together. I did pay for the pro upgrade, it was like $7 for a lifetime upgrade. :)

There are a lot of apps that work with this dongle, I don't know if the one I use is the best. You could try a number of the free ones and see which one looks best to you.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasspouts.com, when you really don’t want to spill gas out of your CARB compliant gas can.

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Not available in CA, shame really.

And here I am poppin ****** when I see an "old school" gas can posted for sale on CL or FB.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here I am poppin ****** when I see an "old school" gas can posted for sale on CL or FB.

Anyone who wants to know how much better things will work when the government is running everything, only needs to go buy a new gas can and see if they can use it without spilling gas all over the place. :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to know how much better things will work when the government is running everything, only needs to go buy a new gas can and see if they can use it without spilling gas all over the place. :)

I scored a couple of 5-gallon race cans off CL a few years ago. Love 'em! I feel like a NASCAR pit crew member when I'm filling up my mower and I turn the can almost completely inverted and the fuel shoots through the 3/4" hose without a single bubble or that "glug glug glug" shit.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasspouts.com, when you really don’t want to spill gas out of your CARB compliant gas can.

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Not available in CA, shame really.

I have a similar gas can spout conversion, which I purchased on Amazon, and I installed them on all 6 of my 5-gallon gas cans. This spout has none of that restrictive crap on it, and it comes with a screw-on extension and gives you close to 2 feet of flexible spout for easy access to any gas tank location. It also has an old-style vent that you can insert into the gas can using a graduated drill bit and gas-resistant sealant. I can fill the 2 1/2 gallon gas tank on my tractor in less than 30 seconds, instead of about 3 minutes. My most recent conversion was a new 5-gallon gas tank that I purchased about 3 months ago.

EZ-Pour.jpg

Last edited:

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Ya I live in Michigan and people have a lot of boats....older boats and older cars for that matter did not foresee the blending of ethanol into gas and therefore dont have the proper seals in the fuel system and require ethanol free.....

To be fair, no one here should be running that, nor would there be any benefit....

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Not to jump in on a discussion, but if you have a Gen IV PCM the best way to have fast accurate changes in ethanol content is to change from a virtual sensor to a physical sensor. The sensor mounts up by the rail so there is never a doubt what is going into the injector. It’s one PCM pin and a coil pack jump over harness. I think the kit from DSX is like $350. If your boosted, it’s a crucial piece of data.

Edit: you need HP Tuners (or a tuner) to switch the method of measurement. Might be able to do it with TDS, but I never tried.

This is what the V community does to run E85. The GM Flex Fuel Sensor (~$100) attaches inline, right before the fuel rails. I highly recommend DSX, they make quality products in the USA with a lifetime warranty! I have installed a number of these systems. Just remember, E85 being 108 octane will require a lot more pump volume, typically 20%-30%, which is also why I needed the DSX Auxiliary Pump Kit on my V. Without the Aux Kit, fuel starvation would destroy my motor. CTS-V2's have a unique situation in that for 50/50 weight balance, the fuel tank straddles the IRS. One must remove the entire rear cradle/suspension to access the tank top which is EXTREMELY time consuming and difficult, even with a lift/professional tools.

Two Options for V2's:
1) Cut a "access port" through the sheet-metal, under the rear seats and above the gas tank's pumping assembly to change internal pumps. Now they sell Fuel Pump Access Hatch "kit" that includes everything needed; template for cutting, rubber seals, screws and a custom fabbed steel hatch for the sealing the new opening. The idea of me cutting my car up was out of the question.

2) The DSX Auxiliary Pump Kit (and their copycats) requiring a single tap in the tank. Everything else is plug and play, controlled by the MAP sensor, accessible and proven extremely reliable. This aux kit requires NO CUTTING, just a single tap into the gas tank. After a ECM tune, the DSX Aux pump will engage if the FPCM demands 8+PSI and turns off at 6PSI. The kit is rated to 1000hp in the CTS-V2 application I believe.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored a couple of 5-gallon race cans off CL a few years ago. Love 'em! I feel like a NASCAR pit crew member when I'm filling up my mower and I turn the can almost completely inverted and the fuel shoots through the 3/4" hose without a single bubble or that "glug glug glug" shit.

Here are my modified cans with the gasspout upgrades, no spilled gas anywhere.

At 2 O'Clock are the dead soldiers of the progressive revolution. I just keep them around to raise my mood, anytime I am feeling a little low. :)

The jerry can I got from Jegs, not cheap, but the best jerry can I have ever owned.

IMG_0630.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt