Ethanol percentage flex fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here are my modified cans with the gasspout upgrades, no spilled gas anywhere.

At 2 O'Clock are the dead soldiers of the progressive revolution. I just keep them around to raise my mood, anytime I am feeling a little low. :)

The jerry can I got from Jegs, not cheap, but the best jerry can I have ever owned.

View attachment 278067

I gotta do this...

MikePPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is what the V community does to run E85. The GM Flex Fuel Sensor (~$100) attaches inline, right before the fuel rails. I highly recommend DSX, they make quality products in the USA with a lifetime warranty! I have installed a number of these systems. Just remember, E85 being 108 octane will require a lot more pump volume, typically 20%-30%, which is also why I needed the DSX Auxiliary Pump Kit on my V. Without the Aux Kit, fuel starvation would destroy my motor. CTS-V2's have a unique situation in that for 50/50 weight balance, the fuel tank straddles the IRS. One must remove the entire rear cradle/suspension to access the tank top which is EXTREMELY time consuming and difficult, even with a lift/professional tools.

Two Options for V2's:
1) Cut a "access port" through the sheet-metal, under the rear seats and above the gas tank's pumping assembly to change internal pumps. Now they sell Fuel Pump Access Hatch "kit" that includes everything needed; template for cutting, rubber seals, screws and a custom fabbed steel hatch for the sealing the new opening. The idea of me cutting my car up was out of the question.

2) The DSX Auxiliary Pump Kit (and their copycats) requiring a single tap in the tank. Everything else is plug and play, controlled by the MAP sensor, accessible and proven extremely reliable. This aux kit requires NO CUTTING, just a single tap into the gas tank. After a ECM tune, the DSX Aux pump will engage if the FPCM demands 8+PSI and turns off at 6PSI. The kit is rated to 1000hp in the CTS-V2 application I believe.

Dave (DSX) is the real deal. All of his equipment is well thought out.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my modified cans with the gasspout upgrades, no spilled gas anywhere.

At 2 O'Clock are the dead soldiers of the progressive revolution. I just keep them around to raise my mood, anytime I am feeling a little low. :)

The jerry can I got from Jegs, not cheap, but the best jerry can I have ever owned.

View attachment 278067

No spilled gas?! You're gonna be in big trouble when the EPA hears about this!

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No spilled gas?! You're gonna be in big trouble when the EPA hears about this!

Well, if one of those pencil neck CARB board members shows up at my front door, asking about my public admission of not using their fill necks. I am going to go get one of those I kept, screw it on and make him try to fill my mower without spilling any. I will tape the whole thing with me standing over him, screaming at him like a DI, while he tries unsuccessfully to accomplish the impossible.

I am thinking that one should go viral.... :)

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, as I suspected, Costco is being straight with their Ethanol percentage numbers. I have to drive a little more before I check what the Yukon thinks is in this latest batch, but before I filled, it was saying 17.25%. :(

41B7E06F-8763-4E91-8426-B47AFBDCAEE1.jpeg

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am on my third tank of E85 from Kwik Trip and my truck says it is at 63%

Many who have posted have said E85 is all over the place with the actual percentage.

My problem with the error is it seems to creep up into the high 30% range (the calculated amount) and my warm up gets down right smelly and I am sure the cats take a beating as well during that time. LT trims reflect it as well.

I have read where if it gets too out of whack, you can have starting and idle issues.

I am hoping it is something in the Evap system that is causing the virtual ethanol monitor to screw up.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Many who have posted have said E85 is all over the place with the actual percentage.

My problem with the error is it seems to creep up into the high 30% range (the calculated amount) and my warm up gets down right smelly and I am sure the cats take a beating as well during that time. LT trims reflect it as well.

I have read where if it gets too out of whack, you can have starting and idle issues.

I am hoping it is something in the Evap system that is causing the virtual ethanol monitor to screw up.
I plan to run a tank or two of non-ethanol to see if it resets itself sometime.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

I am keeping an eye on this thread and your findings as my truck appears to be doing the same thing, as previously mentioned.

I have noticed that once in a while when I remote start the truck that it will crank for an extended amount of time before actually firing up. Normally it fires up very quickly. I am not certain if the two issues are related or not as of yet.

Please keep us posted as you continue your endeavor to find the issue.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to run a tank or two of non-ethanol to see if it resets itself sometime.

That would be great to know. Please post when you get the results.

When I filled a nearly empty tank with non-ethanol it just sat there in the high 30% range. I reset it with the tech 2 and the trims looked better. But I forgot to refill with 100% gasoline a second time to see if it would stay at the 3% reset number. I will try that next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900