Enhancing towing capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ejschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2010 Tahoe with 4 wheel drive, 3.08s, a factory class 3 hitch, and 7 pin wiring. I'm planning on using it to haul my Jeep ZJ to and from off road parks. It's amazing how much your confidence level goes up when you've trailered your rig rather than depending on it to get home. Anyway, I'm at about 4500 lbs with my Jeep and I figure about 2k lbs for a trailer. Obviously, that's over what the Tahoe is rated to pull with 3.08s. I'm planning on using a weight distributing hitch because without one, class 3 hitches are only rated for 5k lbs, 10k lbs with. I don't have an external trans cooler but could add one with your guys input. I want to stay away from regearing to 3.42s or higher. I searched around before finding the vehicle I bought and had a hard time locating any with 3.42s with the mileage I wanted and not much over $30k. Most, if not all of my towing will be on flat ground; Indiana doesn't have much in terms of hills.

EDIT:

Any mods want to move this to the correct section? Apparently I'm not very good at figuring out where to post...

Last edited:

wildwest450

Reaction score
According to an online towing guide a non hybrid 4wd is rated at 8200lbs. Are you sure on the axle? I would definitely do a trans cooler.

Check that, that's with the trailing package. There's no way around changing the rear end unless you want to risk going over the suggested weights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ejschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't actually check the RPO codes on the SPID, only from the build sheet provided by the dealer. I'll check the RPOs tonight and see what I come up with. If it's got 3.42s rather than the suspected 3.08s I'm good. Otherwise, maybe it was a bad purchase.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I didn't actually check the RPO codes on the SPID, only from the build sheet provided by the dealer. I'll check the RPOs tonight and see what I come up with. If it's got 3.42s rather than the suspected 3.08s I'm good. Otherwise, maybe it was a bad purchase.

From what i've read, all 2010 Tahoes are 3.08 unless they had the towing package, than they are 3.42's. Hopefully i'm wrong.

OP
OP
E

ejschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oddly, my dealer provided build sheet shows a towing package. It also has a factory hitch with a 7 pin wiring connector. I believe it may have even said something about HD cooling, however, I do not have a trans cooler.

OP
OP
E

ejschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I got a GU4. That's definitely a 3.08. Now, I'd imagine if I add a trans cooler and use a weight distributing hitch, I should be okay in tow/haul mode to trailer my Jeep. I'd say I'd experience power loss equal to that of someone putting larger, heavier wheels on without regearing. I'm going to give it a guinea pig run next month anyhow. I have a short trip coming up with my Jeep club that I plan on trailering to.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with 3.08's make sure you stay out of OD and keep an eye on your trans temp. If your going to be towing this combo all the time, I would look into 3.73's and an HD trans cooler. I would even think of going with the 3.42's. If your going to spend the money once, do it right.

OP
OP
E

ejschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could the computer be programmed for 3.73s? I agree with the "do it once, do it right" mentality. As far as my towing frequency, I'll tow maybe once a month from maybe April through October. I doubt I'll wheel my Jeep more frequently than that. Work doesn't allow for that much free time.