Engine Light Coming on....Very strange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good points mentioned already.

One other thing is at 120K on the clock, have you changed the plugs since you have owned the vehicle? Also, when was the last time you cleaned the MAF sensor?

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
All good points mentioned already.

One other thing is at 120K on the clock, have you changed the plugs since you have owned the vehicle? Also, when was the last time you cleaned the MAF sensor?
Well, honestly, I do not have any idea what an MAF sensor is, where it is located, or know how to clean it.

As for the plugs, they have never been replaced to my knowledge. I have been meaning to look at how hard the job would be, what wrench (socket) I need, and do the job. I have not changed plugs since my teens, but I have done it a few times.

Edit: I have now watched videos on both and will plan to do them soon. Any tips on tools needed for the spark plug change would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, honestly, I do not have any idea what an MAF sensor is, where it is located, or know how to clean it.

As for the plugs, they have never been replaced to my knowledge. I have been meaning to look at how hard the job would be, what wrench (socket) I need, and do the job. I have not changed plugs since my teens, but I have done it a few times.

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located just outside your airfilter housing in the intake tube. It measures the amount of air coming into your engine which allows the computer to calculate how much fuel is needed as well as some other things. You can buy CRC MAF Sensor cleaner spray and clean it off. Just be careful not to touch the sensor surface.

Changing the spark plugs is not much different than what you had to do when you were in your teens. They recommend changing the plugs every 100K. You will need a 5/8" plug socket and an extension. For the #8 plug (rear passenger side) it is helpful to use a 3/4" socket on the hex portion of the 5/8" plug socket. This gets you out past the exhaust manifold but not into all the A/C stuff. I always start with that one as the rest are much easier to get to. I would go with NGK or AC Delco plugs and change the plug wires as well. When you go to put the new plugs in, put a small dab of anti-sieze on the threads of the plug. Also, put some dielectric grease on the plug and coil ends of the plug wires. For the plug end, I like to take an old plug and put a dab of grease on the tip and shove it into the new plug wire. This get a good coating of grease in the connector.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Besides the mileage effecting the sensors and cleaning the MAF and age of plugs, all of these are normal maintenance, I think it does have to do with the use of the wrong fuel. My recently new to me FatBoy set a code when I ran non ethanol fuel in it and when I changed to mt regular mid range fuel, like I run in my Tahoe, the code went away and has not been back. I would always err to the side of take care of old needed maintenance items but also watch out what fuel you are running.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located just outside your airfilter housing in the intake tube. It measures the amount of air coming into your engine which allows the computer to calculate how much fuel is needed as well as some other things. You can buy CRC MAF Sensor cleaner spray and clean it off. Just be careful not to touch the sensor surface.

Changing the spark plugs is not much different than what you had to do when you were in your teens. They recommend changing the plugs every 100K. You will need a 5/8" plug socket and an extension. For the #8 plug (rear passenger side) it is helpful to use a 3/4" socket on the hex portion of the 5/8" plug socket. This gets you out past the exhaust manifold but not into all the A/C stuff. I always start with that one as the rest are much easier to get to. I would go with NGK or AC Delco plugs and change the plug wires as well. When you go to put the new plugs in, put a small dab of anti-sieze on the threads of the plug. Also, put some dielectric grease on the plug and coil ends of the plug wires. For the plug end, I like to take an old plug and put a dab of grease on the tip and shove it into the new plug wire. This get a good coating of grease in the connector.
Excellent advice! I am meeting a friend for lunch and will stop by the auto parts store on the way home. Hopefully they have the extension, plug socket, dielectric grease, and anti-sieze. This should be a fun afternoon project on these rainy days here ( I took the week off and the weather is crap).

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No matter the color of the gas cap (they can be changed) the inside of the gas filler door should indicate whether it's Flex or not. And do we know if any of this gas is E85? Or it it just the octane difference of the E10?

I have read that alternating E85 fillups with E10 fillups is not necessarily recommended; when changing from running E10 to E85, mixing the E85 in with half a tank of E10 can give the ECM time to adjust to the higher ethanol percentage. It may be best to stick with one fuel ethanol content.

While some of these educated assumptions about what code is setting the CEL may be correct, we don't really know what particular code is being set. All of the above-mentioned actions are typically regular maintenance items, and may have nothing or everything to do with the CEL.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter the color of the gas cap (they can be changed) the inside of the gas filler door should indicate whether it's Flex or not. And do we know if any of this gas is E85? Or it it just the octane difference of the E10?

I have read that alternating E85 fillups with E10 fillups is not necessarily recommended; when changing from running E10 to E85, mixing the E85 in with half a tank of E10 can give the ECM time to adjust to the higher ethanol percentage. It may be best to stick with one fuel ethanol content.

While some of these educated assumptions about what code is setting the CEL may be correct, we don't really know what particular code is being set. All of the above-mentioned actions are typically regular maintenance items, and may have nothing or everything to do with the CEL.
No sticker on my 13